Counsel, Consumer Experiences
Los Angeles, California /
Streaming – Content Legal /
Netflix is in search of an experienced lawyer to handle a wide array of responsibilities related to Netflix’s Live Experiences touring business.
Part of the Netflix Consumer Products & Experiences umbrella, the Live Experiences team at Netflix creates, develops and produces all forms of location-based entertainment based on Netflix’s series and film properties. Through immersive, in-person, ticketed experiences that expand and enhance stories from the screen, the Live Experiences team allows fans to directly interact with the Netflix portfolio of titles. Recent successes include BRIDGERTON: THE QUEEN’S BALL, STRANGER THINGS: THE EXPERIENCE, STRANGER THINGS: THE OFFICIAL STORE (a multi-city retail pop up), and the multi-title retail experience at the Grove mall in Los Angeles. Previous projects include the LA CASA DE PAPEL experience; Army of the Dead VR Experience; COVID-friendly Stranger Things Drive Into Experience; and the all-digital NAILED IT! At Home Baking Challenge.
You will be the Business & Legal Affairs point person for global touring and traveling Live Experiences, including: day-to-day production and operational legal matters (e.g., venue and vendor agreements, merchandise and food/beverage offerings, health and safety, production partnership agreements); license agreements with third-party experiences partners; legal and risk assessments relating to marketing and creative; and collaborating with other counsel and business owners on business strategy (including on the development of new creative concepts and projects). This role collaborates closely with other internal commercial executives and cross-functional partners, such as tax, accounting/finance, real estate, content, IP/trademark, labor, litigation, and other legal functions across Netflix.
In this role, you should be extremely comfortable counseling commercial partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impacts, and should be adept at developing and fostering relationships. Practical risk evaluation, nimble decision making and willingness to pivot are critical indicators for success in this role. With a deep understanding of various business models and production-related needs, you will be able to provide practical business and legal advice, move quickly and support a global, fast-moving business team.
A successful candidate will bring passion, curiosity and innovation, as Netflix seeks to rapidly grow this business area.
This role will be based in Los Angeles, CA. It will report into the Head of Business & Legal Affairs for Consumer Products & Experiences.
- Partner with the global Live Experiences team as a core member of the growing business & Legal Affairs team, and the primary legal contact for touring experiences. In collaboration with other counsel/coordinators, draft and negotiate all production and operations agreements (e.g., venue agreements; production service or vendor agreements; food & beverage, sponsorship and merchandise agreements). Provide legal review and clearance of production, creative and marketing matters (e.g., health and safety, accessibility, consumer disclosures, etc.). Advise on deal structuring and partnership arrangements.
- Collaborate with internal cross-functional partners on best practices and internal positions relating to Live Experiences.
- Coordinate with other areas of the business as needed (e.g., finance, tax, risk management, labor, real estate, IP, marketing, etc.).
- The successful candidate will have 6+ years of relevant practical experience in physical productions of location based experiences.
- Specific experience with complex, multi-disciplinary touring entertainment production preferred, including large-scale live music tours, legitimate stage, or other similar models (e.g Cirque du Soleil)
- Fluency in English; additional language skills preferred, not required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to collaborate closely with business teams that are innovating new business models and partnerships.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Ability to work autonomously and reliably within tight timeframes in a fast-paced, high-performance environment
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- Strong analytical capabilities and ability to exercise sound judgment in the absence of perfect information
- Ability to take initiative to identify and solve problems in a business-friendly and solutions-oriented manner, and to think strategically, commercially and practically
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with an ability to multitask, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strategic interest and outlook
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Practical, risk-tolerant, and solution-oriented to achieve the best outcome for Netflix
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $80,000 - $325,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.