Analytics Engineer (L5) - Infrastructure
Remote, California /
Streaming – Product Data Science and Engineering /
At Netflix our goal is to entertain the world. Our 200+ million members stream award-winning content, and play thousands of hours of games, from 190 countries. Everything that we build to delight our members, and all of the work we do to figure out how to do that better, relies on our extensive infrastructure, which spans what we rent from AWS (we are AWS’s biggest customer) to what we build ourselves (we operate our own custom-built content delivery network, Open Connect). Because this infrastructure is so central to everything we do, we want to ensure we are using it in the most effective and efficient way. Doing that well starts with great visibility into how we are using our infrastructure, and actionable metrics and analytics to help us take action as needed.
As a Senior Analytics Engineer you will join the team of Analytics Engineers, Data Engineers, and Data Scientists who partner with our infrastructure engineering teams to build tools, create metrics and perform analysis that help us make better decisions about our infrastructure using data. You will work closely with engineering leadership, and our Strategy, Planning & Analysis partners to align on infrastructure analytics strategy, and will then collaborate with Data Engineers and Data Scientists to execute that strategy.
The ideal candidate will excel in data analytics, storytelling with data, cross-functional collaboration, and share a passion for continuously improving the way we use data to make the Netflix infrastructure better.
In this role, you will:
- Create a vision for how to best tell the story of how Netflix is using our infrastructure and build consensus around this vision with our partners in Engineering Leadership and Strategy, Planning and Analysis.
- Build best in class analytics products that realize this vision.
- Work with our Data Engineering partners, and other Data Scientists on the team to make sure we have great data to support the products we are building.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other Analytics Engineers on the team.
- Connect with the larger analytics community at Netflix to bring more visibility to our work.
- Experienced at executing compelling data visualizations with dashboard tools like Looker or Tableau.
- Experienced in engineering data pipelines and ETL in languages like SQL and workflow orchestration tools like Apache Airflow.
- Fluent in SQL and Python a must.
- Passionate about using data to help guide strategic decision making.
- Experienced at telling stories with data and communicating to stakeholders at all levels of the business.
- Experienced in building strong relationships with stakeholders and colleagues to tackle big, cross-functional problems.
- Comfortable working with executive stakeholders who need your expertise to guide their thinking.
- A strong product thinker with good product sense: you know how to get at what our partners need and how to develop solutions to satisfy those needs.
- An exceptional communicator with both technical and non-technical audiences. Comfortable with ambiguity, and thrive with minimal oversight and process.
Netflix's culture is key to our success. We celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams, and we approach inclusion equally seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for this role is typically $150,000 - $750,000