Software Engineer, Backend
Neuralink is developing ultra high bandwidth brain-machine interfaces to connect humans and computers. We’re building a team of multidisciplinary experts and doers who are dedicated to changing the world.
We need a diverse, core group of engineers to design, fabricate, and test next-generation medical robotics. We want software engineers with specialities, hybrid mechanical-software-electricals engineers, manufacturing experts, generalists and people we haven’t thought of yet. The ideal candidates are people who get excited about building things, are highly analytical, and enjoy tackling new problems regularly. We need experienced and motivated software engineers to build a wide array of internal tools and infrastructure in anticipation of a petabyte-scale neuroscience program. Projects include building out a web-based experiment management and control system; near-real-time processing on gigabit+ data streams via complex algorithms defined by other teams; developing company-wide diagnostics and metrics; and more.
- You excel at your strengths (whether that is architecture, Heroku, databases, or something else.)
- You find large challenges exciting and enjoy discovering and defining problems as much as solving them.
- You deliver. You may enjoy thoughtful conversations about problems, but in the end you know that what matters is code that gets the job done well.
- You are a cross disciplinary team member. You are excited to work with and learn from neuroscientists and nanotechnologists. You are comfortable communicating across teams.
Technical nice to haves:
- (We are growing a diverse team of engineers, so no one person has to have all of these!)
- Fluency in multiple major programming languages such as C++, Python, Ruby, or Scala.
- Experience with functional and imperative styles, and strong and dynamic type systems.
- The ability to use tests, type safety, and other tools to produce highly reliable code.
- Experience with distributed systems and a real-world understanding of the myriad ways the network can cause problems.
- Experience using version control systems like Git and working within a code review workflow.
- Familiarity with deploying software into a Linux environment; experience with 12-factor PaaSes such as Heroku a plus.
- Knowledge of a range of database and message queue technologies like PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, Neo4J, RabbitMQ, ZeroMQ, and their tradeoffs.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest people you will ever meet.
- Growth Potential. We rapidly advance people who have an outsize impact.
- Flexible PTO policy.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision insurance through a PPO plan.
- Lunch and snacks while at work
- Competitive pay and stock options