People and Culture Partner
San Leandro, California /
People and Culture /
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry. We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase.
We are looking for a People and Culture Partner to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving, collaborative environment and has cross-functional HR expertise that enables them to own and build the New Culture workplace experience.
What will you be doing:
Rolling up your sleeves and helping wherever you can to build the best environment for the entire New Culture team to succeed, including:
Assess and guide improvements to organizational design with a focus on short and long term impact and growth
Establish framework and structures for consistent employee feedback, and initiatives to implement that feedback for company-wide advancement
Design and carry out pulse checks on company culture and implications of company decisions on people and culture
Introduce and refine talent development processes and initiatives that will enable team members to continually improve and learn in their roles and careers
Create structures, resources, and trainings to grow our team’s managerial and coaching capabilities
Policies & benefits
Assess, introduce, and improve company policies, benefits, and team-centric initiatives to enable an inclusive environment for all team members to thrive
Work with our EH&S manager to promote and educate new and existing team members on workplace safety
Recruiting & onboarding
Collaborate with external recruitment partners to manage the sourcing, interviewing, and tracking of new candidates for technical and non-technical positions
Evaluate and enhance the onboarding process (including software systems) for new team members so they can hit the ground running with the support and expectations to empower them to be successful from day one
What we expect from you
- 4-8 years of experience in HR (e.g. as HRBP or HR program manager) managing various functions including benefits, employee engagement, performance reviews, learning & development, org design, onboarding, and employee management software.
- Experience designing people and culture programs to enable clear and constructive company improvements in environments with high levels of ambiguity and autonomy
- Excellent communication and listening skills with the ability to empathize with teammates and passion for growing our inclusive and diverse workplace
- Excellent project management skills including tracking, analyzing, and distilling insights from qualitative and quantitative results
- Experience working with / managing internal or external recruitment partners
- Experience handling sensitive situations and confidential information with discretion and care
- Experience building slides and writing internal documents for company-wide messagingFamiliarity with online HR platforms such as Gusto/Workday and Lever/Greenhouse
- Eagerness to roll up your sleeves, be flexible, and pitch in where it’s needed to grow our HR function and enhance our company culture
Even better if you had
- Experience working in a biotech, scientific, or CPG company or HR consulting firm
- Master’s degree in HR, psychology, labor relations or related area of study
- A love of pizza
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way.
Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product (not just the Science) | The science is cool but the product is even cooler. Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.