Director/VP of Finance
San Leandro, California /
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry.
We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase. We are looking for a Director/VP of Finance to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving, collaborative environment and has broad, hands-on, financial experience as well as experience in leading financial teams and projects.
Learn more about our CULTURE here!
What will you be doing:
- Owning all aspects of New Culture’s day to day finance including managing third party accounting services, monthly books closure, FP&A, purchasing and expense management, reporting/metrics for leadership and board review, and related activities.
- Owning and maintaining holistic business and financial models including annual budget creation and rolling forecasts throughout the year
- Owning strategic financing, including debt financing, leasing and other non-dilutive capital, as well as negotiation and analysis of large financial commitments the company is considering
- Establishing and maintaining external relationships and internal processes and systems that relate to company finances such as new vendors, expense tracking and approvals, banking partners and deal reviews
- Owning key areas of our internal operations that include IT, Supply Chain, Facilities and other general business operations
- Providing fundraising support for future venture capital rounds including round strategy, slide creation, budgeting, and general project management
- Providing support for commercial, manufacturing, and business activities via financial modeling and strategic planning for pricing, sales, deal structuring, partnerships, and other efforts
What we expect from you:
- 8+ years of experience in financial roles that includes experience in FP&A, strategic financing/planning and accounting
- Expert at financial and quantitative modeling with the ability to develop and interpret complex models
- Experience in recruiting and leading a finance team including setting team goals, prioritizing, and executing against deadlines
- Hands-on experience with GAAP accounting (although not expected do the books yourself); CPA/CFA designation preferred
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Experience in negotiating financial terms in large purchasing and/or other financial agreements
- Experience identifying organizational gaps and introducing scalable processes, systems, and platforms to streamline business operations
- Cross-functional project management experience working with multiple functions (e.g. commercial, manufacturing, R&D, legal, regulatory) to execute complex deliverables and organizational goals
- Excited to make significant contributions and bring structure to an extremely dynamic, fast-paced environment with frequently shifting priorities
Even better if you had:
- Investment banking and/or venture capital fundraising experience that required complex deal structuring and diligence and skilled stakeholder management
- Startup experience
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission:
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product | Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.