Scientist, Analytical Chemistry
San Leandro, California /
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry.
We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase. We are looking for a Scientist in Analytical Chemistry to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving, collaborative environment and has experience in a broad spectrum of analytical methods and techniques.
Learn more about our CULTURE here!
What will you be doing:
- Operate and maintain analytical instruments, such as HPLC, GC/MS, LC/MS
- Perform routine quantitative analyses for the product
- Develop new analytical methods for the detection of impurities and quantification
- Improve existing detection and data analysis techniques to increase the quality of data acquired and to decrease the associated costs and timelines
- Contribute to building a new and growing analytical laboratory, including instrument and equipment purchasing
- Work with a team to deliver analytical results for ongoing research and development work
- Perform extractions and prepare samples from a variety of product matrices, including microbial fermentation samples
- Analyze and prepare data from analytical sample runs
- Communicate and deliver results in a timely and reliable manner
- Write detailed protocols and analytical reports
What we expect from you:
- Ph.D. with 0-3 years of industry experience, MS with 2-5 years of industry experience, or BS with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Hands-on experience and familiarity with chromatography and Mass Spectrometry instrumentation and software (e.g. Thermo Excalibur, Agilent MassHunter, Agilent OpenLabs CDS).
- Knowledge of multiple analytical and preparative chromatographic separation techniques.
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to work in Excel to produce statistical, defensible results
- Ability to deliver high-quality work under constraints of time and budget
- Ability to work closely in an interdisciplinary and multicultural team
Even better if you had:
- Experience with GRAS applications or working with the FDA
- Worked with fermentation processes
- Hands-on experience with large-molecule analysis, such as protein
- Experience establishing LIMS
- Have worked in an early-stage company
- Experience with data analysis using Python/R
- Experience with method development, including method transfer and implementation with a CMO
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product (not the Science) | The science is cool but the product is even cooler. Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.