Senior Scientist, Analytical Chemistry
San Leandro, California /
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry.
We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase. We are looking for a Senior Scientist in Analytical Chemistry to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving, collaborative environment and has extensive experience in developing a broad spectrum analytical methods and has the drive and ability to build the foundation of an analytical department at a company developing novel and impactful food products using precision fermentation.
What you will be doing:
- Establishing in-house analytical methods that will ensure the quality and safety of our product and processes with a particular focus on our proteins inclusion in food products
- Purchasing and setting up instruments and equipment required for analyses
- Training junior scientists and research associates so that they can perform these methods with a high degree of accuracy and precision
- Performing routine sample analysis on experimental samples, on protein made in production runs, and on our prototype and market-ready products
- Helping to hire additional analytical chemists and being heavily involved in the growth of the analytical department
- Establishing systems for the curation and interpretation of analytical results
- Working closely with other departments (Biology, Fermentation, Downstream Processing, and Product) to ensure that the analytical chemistry results are most effectively used to improve our processes and products
What we expect from you:
- PhD or MS in Chemistry or in Biochemistry with a focus on analytical methods
- 8+ (MS) or 5+ (PhD) years of relevant industry experience working in Analytical Methods Development and leading teams in the industry
- You are highly organized with a strong attention to detail and that you uphold a high degree of rigor
- A great amount of learning agility with exceptional problem-solving skills and the ability to manage several projects simultaneously
- Deep understanding of chemistry concepts, QA/QC, and product quality and safety requirements especially as they pertain to food
- In-depth understanding of a variety of relevant techniques such as HPLC, GC-MS, and LC-MS
- Extensive experience in developing analytical methods
- Extensive people and project management experience across a portfolio of projects
- Ability to deliver high-quality work under constraints of time and budget
- Ability to work closely in an interdisciplinary and multicultural team
Even better if you had:
- Experience with GRAS applications or working with the FDA
- Worked with fermentation processes or protein products
- Experience establishing LIMS Have worked in an early-stage company
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Our Core Values:
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product (not just the Science) | The science is cool but the product is even cooler. Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.