San Leandro, California /
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry.
We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase. We are looking for a Facilities Manager to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving, collaborative environment and has holistic facilities and real estate experience spanning strategy, leasing, design, construction, and occupancy.
Learn more about our CULTURE here!
What will you be doing:
- Manage all aspects of New Culture’s facilities portfolio including facilities services and operations spanning labs, demonstration kitchen, pilot plant, and manufacturing operations
- Participate in strategic real estate activities including planning for and facilitating the growth of our office/lab/pilot plant footprint within the Bay Area, coordinating growth beyond the Bay Area, and negotiating leases
- Collaborate with third-party vendors responsible for service delivery by structuring and overseeing agreements, and ensuring operational effectiveness and reporting
- Plan, manage, and ensure smooth completion of construction and maintenance projects including serving as key point of contact with landlords on all topics that may arise
- Partner with technical and business teams to provide strategic support and guidance related to facilities operations
- Work closely with our lab manager to ensure our technical teams have what they need to carry out all R&D/product development activities and all office environments enable our teams to work to their fullest potential
- In partnership with our lab manager, coordinate with relevant government agencies to ensure our facilities operations meet and/or exceed all requirements
- Strongly advocate for New Culture’s business priorities and facilities needs with external stakeholders
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, architecture, construction management, or related discipline or equivalent practical experience10+ years experience in facilities, corporate services, property management, or equivalent office or project management role
- Experience managing and working with teams in a range of facilities types including R&D/lab, office, and manufacturing environments
- Extensive real estate project and facilities management experience spanning construction, operations, occupancy planning, and maintenance, working with landlords, designers, GCs, MEPs/trades, realtors, transaction advisors, and other key stakeholders from requirements gathering to design, construction, and occupancy
- Experience in biotech, food tech, pharma, manufacturing, or related industry working with novel technologies and technically complex facilities needs that must adhere to various EH&S standards (e.g. OSHA, HACCP, GMP)
- A focus on understanding business needs from the strategic vision to the implementation details and then embedding and achieving those needs in all aspects of a facilities portfolio
- Passion for sustainable design, engineering, construction, and facilities operations and experience with green design, indoor environmental quality, and healthy materials
- Team oriented and relationship driven with demonstrated experience of establishing strong partnerships with internal and external stakeholders spanning real estate/facilities, finance, legal, commercial, R&D, and manufacturing
- Ability to work independently and with limited oversight to manage the facilities portfolio of a rapidly growing organization with dynamic real estate needs
Even better if you had:
- LEED certification(s) and active participation in local/regional real estate industry activities
- Experience interfacing with customers, investors, media, and other external stakeholders
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product | Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.