Technical Program Manager
San Leandro, California /
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry. We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase.
We are looking for a Technical Program Manager/Senior Technical Program Manager to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving, collaborative environment and has experience with end-to-end program management within technical organizations, from setting strategy and goals and devising milestones/timelines to creating systems and leading workstream implementation.
What will you be doing:
- Working closely with our Chief Scientific Officer and technical leadership team to establish goals, product roadmap, milestones, dependencies, and timelines across all of our R&D and technical scale-up efforts
- Managing program implementation across all of our scientific groups (biology/strain engineering/biochemistry, fermentation, downstream processing, analytical chemistry, food science), ensuring clear communication across workstreams and that we meet the timelines necessary to achieve our product and commercial roadmap
- Introducing processes and systems across our entire science organization to enable organizational growth and accountability amidst technical complexity and ambitious company goals
- Simplifying and decluttering the operations of our scientific organization to propel effective and efficient execution
- Serving as a liaison between our science organization/leadership team and the rest of the company for strategic planning, budgeting, progress updates, and various operational priorities
- Support coordination and execution with external technical partners (e.g. CROs, key suppliers)
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor's degree with scientific focus relevant to New Culture’s work (e.g. biology, chemical engineering)
- 2+ years of hands-on lab experience and 5-10 years of program management, consulting, or other relevant experience in organizations working on R&D and scale-up initiatives
- Demonstrated experience managing complex, technical programs within cross-functional environments with a range of scientific/engineering stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience defining program goals, requirements, and timelines from the ground-up that incorporates feedback from various teams and individual backgrounds
- Comfort translating and coordinating between technical disciplines and with business functions, including exceptional verbal and written communication
- Familiarity with and comfort in ambiguous work environments with evolving priorities and ability to manage programs with significant personal autonomy/limited oversight
- Eagerness to roll up your sleeves and take on a range of small and large projects that are needed to achieve our goals
- Excellent emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills paired with holistic approach to problem solving
Even better if you had:
- Experience working in a biotech and/or food organization that produced consumer products
- Masters degree or PhD with scientific focus relevant to New Culture’s work (e.g. biology, chemical engineering)
- Comfort with data analytics and technical software packages (e.g. R, SQL, Tableau, AI/ML)
- Experience in R&D and production environments as well as experience putting the processes/systems in place to make the organizational jump to production scale
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning, and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product | The science is cool but the product is even cooler. Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.