Research Associate - Biochemistry
San Leandro, California /
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don’t work. Ours are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing about a new culture for the cheese industry. We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting growth and rapid expansion phase.
We are looking for a Research Associate - Biochemistry to join us in leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future. As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a fast-moving and collaborative environment.
Learn more about our culture here!
What will you be doing:
- Work with scientists to develop, validate and execute methods for identification, and quantification of recombinant proteins expressed in engineered strains
- Work with scientists to conduct individual and plate-based assays for screening of expressed proteins including preparation of reagents and samples, instrument operation, and maintenance
- Create and maintain analytical documents including SOPs
- Work closely with Fermentation and Biology teams to exchange data
- Express, purify, and characterize recombinant proteins. Propose continual process improvements for efficiency and quality
- Other responsibilities (or narrowing down to preferential responsibilities) as mutually agreed upon to make this role a career-building experience
What we expect from you:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biological sciences
- 1-3 years (Bachelors)/ 1+ year (Masters) of lab experience in protein assays (preferably in 96-well plates) and/or protein purification
- Hands-on experience in protein analysis by several of the following techniques: Native and SDS-PAGE, western blotting, UV-VIS, DLS, and ELISA
- Familiarity with quantitative data analysis methods
- Working knowledge of protein chemistry, protein expression, and screening methods
- Experience in protein separation and purification through precipitation and batch chromatography
- Ability to communicate/present work and analysis to audiences with diverse technical backgrounds
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player in a highly dynamic environment
Even better if you had:
- Relevant industry experience
- Experience in performing assays in 96-well plates
- Experience in working with lab automation equipment such as robotic liquid handlers
- Protein purification through AKTA chromatography, including working knowledge of FPLC, affinity, IEX, and HIC is a plus
How to know you are a great fit:
We look for candidates who are team players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty, and empathy go a long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving our mission.
Determination with Kindness | Have the resolve, the drive, and the will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and compassion. In the face of adversity, we will only excel as a team by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency | Creativity, persistence, questioning and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work. We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright about the new things we’re trying, getting feedback and input from our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor | Hold yourself and those around you to high standards and understand how your responsibilities are interconnected with others’. As much as you rely on your teammates, they’re relying on you, and only with consistent communication and rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus | We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward as a unified team once we’ve committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product | Our breakthroughs are always in the pursuit of better products. It’s by selling delicious dairy that we will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse, inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.