Staff Software Engineer
Hybrid/Remote - California /
Technology – Engineering /
Insurance is a trillion dollar market that is fundamental to society, yet it has not modernized — until now.
Newfront is building the modern insurance experience.
We've reimagined the experience for clients, prospects, and employees, altering the way people create, understand, select, transact, and use insurance. We're changing the approach so that it starts and ends with the client, not the product, and empowering people for moments that matter.
Our unique approach recognizes both the vast potential of technology and the fundamental role of insurance experts. We're a technology-driven company with DE&I in our DNA and strong values; we believe people matter most.
Our mission is to define the future of the insurance industry, while instilling a high performance culture in combination with living our Work, Love, Play ethos each day. We value balanced lives and are passionate about creating a culture of wellness that results in healthier, happier, and more productive employees, and more successful clients.
Engineering @ Newfront
Newfront is building the platform that powers all insurance and benefits decisions to unlock global economic progress. The core engineering organization at Newfront operates with the mission to provide a transformational experience to clients while empowering the producers and service teams with efficient tools and powerful insights. We strive to make the insurance buying process smooth, seamless, and transparent to businesses while providing a powerful internal ecosystem of administrative tools for insurance professionals to successfully onboard and service the client.
What You’ll Be Responsible For:
- Be a technical leader in Newfront's engineering organization, Set technical direction for the team, and influence and contribute to the long-term technical vision.
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional partners such as product managers, designers, data scientists, and business stakeholders to design and deliver high-quality, high-impact products and solutions.
- Cultivate innovation and growth by driving cross-team collaboration and execution of projects across multiple teams.
- Identify areas of improvement and drive projects to ensure the product's high stability, performance, and reliability.
- Take a data-driven approach toward iterating product features.
- Write exemplary code and be in the trenches alongside mentoring junior engineers and leading by example.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of experience designing and building large web applications at enterprise scale
- Strong programming and data engineering in one or more backend server languages (Java/Python/Ruby/Go/TypeScript/etc.).
- Proficiency with RDBMS such as MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience with web development best practices such as containerization, continuous integration, and continuous deployment.
- Ability to effectively communicate with non-technical stakeholders
- A track record of leading engineering project teams and working with cross-functional partners to deliver technical solutions that realize team and organizational goals.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with data pipeline and data-driven analytics
- Experience with Docker and CI/CD tool
The pay range for this position in California, Washington, Colorado, and New York at the commencement of employment is expected to be between $186,000.00 and $233,500.00/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, the employee will be in an “at-will position,” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
At Newfront, we are committed to hiring diverse talent and supporting an inclusive workplace environment. If you are excited about a role at Newfront but feel you’re missing a few of the qualifications, we still encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself. You may just be the next Newfront team member that we are looking for!
Newfront is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. Diversity is in our DNA and we believe that creating an inclusive workplace elevates the value we are able to bring to our customers and employees alike. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.