Impact Investment Senior Manager
Mexico City /
Impact – Market Systems /
ABOUT THE ROLE
New Story is on a mission to house 1M people by 2030. As part of our Market Systems strategy, we invest in start-ups and established companies that develop innovative models and technology and address affordable housing for low-income households.
We're looking for an Impact Investment Senior Manager to help develop market-driven affordable housing solutions. In this role, you will collaborate with investors and partners to identify social and financial outcomes, develop appropriate financing and/or investment structures, develop and implement management and governance structures to deploy the funding, and negotiate and execute impact investing transactions. Alongside our multidisciplinary team of real estate, urban design, housing finance, software, and impact measurement experts, you’ll lead and shape the process of deal sourcing, underwriting, structuring, and investment portfolio management.
You'll report to the Senior Director of Market Systems and Innovation and work in close collaboration with the Market Systems team. The position location is flexible - LATAM time zone required, preferred location is Mexico (Mexico City a plus!). Atlanta, GA candidates will be considered. Spanish and English fluency required.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Conduct financial analysis of investments, including financial modeling, financing and tax assumptions, IRRs, output sensitivities, and research to support key underwriting assumptions.
- Oversee due diligence of potential investments, including evaluating the proposed business model, investment partners, management team, impact factors, financial sustainability, risk factors, etc.
- Lead and execute on investment structuring and negotiations of terms and conditions to achieve impact results and return on investment.
- Collaborate with partners and legal counsel on transaction execution.
- Source impact investment opportunities from individuals, impact investors, and the private market.
- Support senior team members with impact investment procurement, negotiation, and close.
- Identify new trends in impact investment (e.g., climate-smart, construction R&D, etc.) and/or new instruments (i.e., guarantees, debt funds, insurance products, etc.) that can help expand access to adequate housing for vulnerable populations in a sustainable manner.
- Track investment performance metrics and lead quarterly reporting activities for the impact investments.
- Contribute to the development of other reports and presentations from the Impact team (monthly, quarterly, annual) for various stakeholders of New Story.
- Successfully manage relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
WHO YOU ARE
- Master’s degree, MBA, or equivalent within Finance, Investments, Business, or a related field.
- 5+ years of relevant investment experience in the social finance, impact investing, venture capital, real estate development, investment banking and/or strategy consulting sectors.
- Demonstrated experience working with databases (Access or MS SQL Server), VBA for Excel, and analytical tools such as Power BI.
- Ability to develop financial models and reporting templates.
- Knowledge/familiarity with investment accounting principles.
- Demonstrated analytical skills to assess potential investment opportunities.
- Experience with and/or deep interest in issues around the affordable housing sector to drive innovative social impact.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to convey complex information and investment opportunities to internal and external stakeholders in compelling formats.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build trust with diverse stakeholder groups, including investment committee, Board members, and co-investors.
- Exceptional project management experience.
- Able to travel extensively (30-40% of time).
- Professional Spanish and English fluency required.
- Health & Wellness. We believe in thriving communities and that starts with our team being happy and healthy. We offer insurance plans for our US team members, and a monthly health insurance stipend for our MX team members. All of our team members also receive a monthly wellness stipend to invest in their wellness, whatever that looks like for them.
- Unlimited Vacation after the 1st Year. We believe you should have a flexible schedule that makes space for family, wellness, and fun. For the first 12 months, team members have 12 days of PTO plus paid holidays. After year one, team members enjoy an unlimited vacation policy.
- Paid Parental Leave. Primary caregivers are given 12 weeks paid time off. Secondary caregivers are given 6 weeks paid time off.
- Adoption Reimbursement. For families who are willing to adopt, thank you! New Story will reimburse eligible team members up to $10,000 for adoption related expenses.
- 5-Week Sabbatical after the 5th Year. The 5-year mark is an incredible milestone, as well as a great time to reflect, unplug, and enjoy some time off. Team members' celebrating their 5-year anniversary are given 5-weeks off with pay.
- Trip to the Field. It’s amazing to meet the families we help and see the homes up close and personal. You'll get to visit the work first hand in either Mexico, Haiti, or El Salvador.
- Team Summits. Every 6 months we have a full team summit where we have fun, reflect, and plan for the upcoming quarter. Past trips have been in Tahoe, CA and Whidbey Island, WA.
- Commuter Benefits. We’re grateful for all the time and energy each team member puts into getting to work every day. For some, getting to work takes additional time and expense because of their commute, our commuter benefits policy helps to offset that.
- Continuing Education. We believe in always learning and leveling up our skills. Whether it's a conference or online course, you'll find we invest in each team member so they can be the best at their craft.
LOCATION & COMPENSATION
We are prioritizing candidates in Mexico (Mexico City a plus!), LATAM time-zone required. Atlanta, GA candidates will also be considered. Our offer will be commensurate with experience and location.
ABOUT NEW STORY
We pioneer solutions to end global homelessness. We work with local organizations around the world to build successful, thriving communities, and we are fully committed to researching and developing new ways of building better and faster. Since New Story started in 2014, we have built over 38 communities across 4 countries resulting in over 14,000 lives impacted through safe housing.
We’re a young team based in Atlanta and Mexico City. Usually, you can find us drinking coffee or bubble tea and eating churros wherever we can find them.
ABOUT OUR CULTURE
Culture is #1 for us. We invest significant time, focus, and resources to building the best environment possible. Why? Over the course of the year we spend a large chunk of our time at work. So at New Story, we want our team to find fulfillment, autonomy, mastery, and joy at work. A workplace where you can bring your whole self.
At New Story, you can expect to find a culture that reflects our values:
Humble Pursuit Of Excellence. A combination of personal humility and intense professional will.
Express Gratitude and Empathy. How would you like to be treated? That’s how we strive to treat others. Always go above and beyond to do for others what you'd like them to do for you.
Improve Through Learning and Feedback. Learn why something worked or didn't work, then implement the learning into future actions.
Team of Founders. An extreme ownership mindset where you see a problem, take action, and go above and beyond to help the team.
Think Big, Breakdown, and Execute. Set big measurable goals, formulate a plan, then execute the plan with relentless focus.
Simplify. Do more with less. This applies to everything: marketing, design, team meetings, writing, operations, and beyond.
A WELCOMING PLACE FOR ALL
New Story strives to nurture a welcoming culture of shared values and radical candor for everyone. We welcome all applicants, regardless of background, to submit an application. Black, Indigenous, and people of color are especially encouraged to apply! We know we will only succeed if we have a team who brings a wide variety of perspectives and backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, our hiring decisions are based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time of hire. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization.