Director of APAC
Shenzhen, Guangdong, CN
Next Thing Co.
Next Thing Co. is building a platform of open source hardware and software tools; a smarter way to build smart things. Next Thing Co. started in 2013 with a hackable GIF camera called OTTO. Inspired by their experience in Shenzhen, NTC invented C.H.I.P. the $9 computer, which became one of the largest Kickstarter campaigns with over $2M raised. Since then, our team has gone on to help build smarter IoT products with C.H.I.P. Pro, GR8 and Gadget OS.
Now, our community is growing, our offerings are growing and our team is growing too. This is where you come in. We’re scaling a brilliant and diverse team to meet the needs of our customers all over the world. Next Thing Co. is based in Oakland, California and Shenzhen, China.
Director of APAC
You will be responsible for leading Next Thing Co.’s Shenzhen operations, supply chain, manufacturing, logistics, and team development. You will lead and grow a diverse team to bring internal projects from prototype to mass production, as well as help large-volume customers navigate the path to mass production. You will remotely report to the Chief Operating Officer based in Oakland, CA. This is a full-time position based in Shenzhen.
- Expand and streamline an existing, robust supply chain in China
- Manage relationships with contract manufacturers (ODM/OEM), suppliers, logistics partners, and large-volume customers
- Negotiate contracts and pricing with vendors
- Collaborate with internal teams and external partners to take projects from specification and schedule, through implementation,DFM, manufacturing, and onward to launch and scaling
- Oversee sourcing and factory production
- Coordinate and refine shipping logistics for the internal supply chain and customer orders
- Travel domestically and internationally
- Dedication to improving the accessibility of technology
- Demonstrated ability to both work independently and lead a team
- Written and spoken fluency in Mandarin and English
- A combination of education or experience in engineering (mechanical/industrial/electrical), supply chain management, manufacturing, quality control and project management
- Experience handling global supply chain partners
- Market-rate salary
- Flexible work and vacation schedule
- International travel
Next Thing Co. is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce, and we look for folks who have a high level of demonstrated comfort with cultural competency. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people are encouraged to apply. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, marital or parental status, disability, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis prohibited by law.