Director of Data Engineering
Los Angeles, CA
Engineering – Data Engineering
NEXT was founded with a vision to implement solutions and bring change to a fragmented industry. As a FreightTech pioneer, we are designing technology-driven solutions to transform the $800B U.S. shipping & trucking industry. Our platform connects shippers with freight capacity for every step of a shipment’s journey.
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to provide world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion dollar puzzle and make freight painless.
Armed with experienced professionals from Google, Amazon, Salesforce and Twilio, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. We have been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
Are you NEXT?
About The Role:
We are passionate entrepreneurs, creative thinkers, and decision makers who are transforming the freight transportation industry with modern technology. We create delightful product experiences that enables freight to move effortlessly, solving complex problems for our shippers and carriers. We collaborate with some of the best designers, engineers, and business partners to achieve our goals.
As a Director of Data Engineering, you will build and lead a team of engineers to define and build the data infrastructure and platforms that power NEXTs products and data science practice. You will play a key leadership role in defining NEXTs data architecture, pipelines, platform, and tooling; and partner with the data science team to build the machine learning pipelines and infrastructure that underpins NEXT’s freight marketplace and virtualized real-world assets (trucks, drivers, freight, warehouses, yards, port terminals, etc).
The ideal candidate will have a passion for the craft of software development. This person has been a multiplier for engineering teams and has a track record of delivering exceptional technical solutions in a fast-paced high growth software company. This person thrives in a start-up environment where every individual has a significant impact on the technology and is empowered to make decisions and get things done.
What You'll Do
- Build a world-class engineering team of data engineers, machine learning engineers, and database architects
- Drive technology and platform selection and adoption.
- Lead the development and operations of data and machine learning pipelines in a cloud environment.
- Work with leaders throughout the organization to build a rich data warehouse containing data from a variety of sources.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement and learning.
- Lead by example, helping to cultivate a mission-driven, performance culture.
What You'll Have
- 7+ years of data engineering or related software engineering experience building and leading teams in fast-paced tech companies.
- Track record of delivering ETLs, machine learning pipelines, and data products within a cloud-based microservices or event streaming architecture.
- Meaningful experience operating teams in a continuous delivery environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and able to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical team members
- Motivated by a sense of urgency and ownership
- Graduate degree in Computer Science
- Deep experience operating in a lean/experiment driven environment
- Engaged in the open source software community
- Strong sense of customer empathy
- In love with coding
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.