Los Angeles, CA
Product – Data Science
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to providing world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion dollar puzzle and offer painless freight.
Armed with experienced professionals from Facebook, Google, Amazon, Salesforce and Twilio, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. Forbes included us on its 2019 Next Billion-Dollar Startups list, and we’ve been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
Are you NEXT?
About the Role:
We are passionate entrepreneurs, creative thinkers and decision makers who will transform the freight transportation industry with modern technology. We create delightful product experiences that enables freight to move effortlessly, solving complex problems for our shippers and carriers. We collaborate with some of the best designers, engineers, and business partners to achieve our goals.
As a Data Scientist, you will formulate new product features and enable new business capabilities by enhancing the underlying computational engine that powers the NEXT freight platform and marketplace. You will play a pivotal role in scaling, optimizing, and instrumenting a real-time, complex dynamic system of software and virtualized real-world assets (trucks, drivers, freight, warehouses, yards, port terminals, etc.) through a period of exponential growth. As part of our team of scientists, you will help shape our next-gen solutions by applying a combination of Data Science and Operations Research techniques to build cutting-edge models and algorithms. Based on your strengths and interests, you will have the opportunity to own and evolve your career in a broad spectrum of areas such as Forecasting & Econometrics, Pricing & Auctions, Transportation & Routing, Inventory & Capacity Management, Logistics & Supply Chain Optimization, Experiment Design & Recommendation Systems, Growth & Product Analytics, and Personalization & Marketing Science, to name a few.
What You'll Do
- Partner with internal stakeholders on business initiatives to identify and articulate opportunities for applying Data Science. See beyond the data to propose and build solutions that will raise the bar for decision making.
- Partner with product managers and product designers in synthesizing and prioritizing a product roadmap.
- Instrument the organization, the product, and the business ecosystem by building descriptive and predictive models (and their visualizations as needed). Coach and support individuals across the organization to evangelize a decentralized culture of data-driven decision making throughout the organization.
- Apply your expertise in Data Science and Operations Research to build statistical models, machine learning models, optimization models, and/or simulation models.
- Partner with the data engineering team in implementing and productionalizing your models, and in continually improving a data pipeline and data warehouse.
What You'll Have
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Computer Science, Quantitative Finance, Applied Math, Physics or a related Engineering degree.
- 2+ years of Data Science (and related) experience in building models and developing algorithms for machine learning, statistics, mathematical programming, and/or simulation in the tech industry and/or in academia.
- 2+ years of experience in analyzing large-scale structured and unstructured data using R or Python.
- 2+ years of experience in SQL and data modeling.
- Familiarity with best practices in Data Science, Machine Learning and Deep Learning, Operations Research, AI, and analytical methods and applications. Decent exposure to popular Data Science tools and libraries.
- Strong communication skills and collaborative team player.
- Familiarity with application development life-cycle.
- Experience in object-oriented design and development (e.g. C++ or Java).
- Experience in data engineering.
What You'll Receive
- Competitive Salary + Equity + Bonus
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.