Data Scientist, Engineering
Los Angeles, CA
Product – Data Science
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to providing world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion-dollar puzzle and offer painless freight.
Armed with experienced professionals from Amazon, Google, Facebook, Snap, and Salesforce, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. Forbes included us on its 2019 Next Billion-Dollar Startups list, and we’ve been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
We are passionate entrepreneurs, creative thinkers, and decision-makers who will transform the freight transportation industry with modern technology. We create delightful product experiences that enables freight to move effortlessly, solving complex problems for our shippers and carriers. We collaborate with some of the best designers, engineers, and business partners to achieve our goals.
Are you NEXT?
About The Role:
Our Data Science function is composed of Data Science Research team, Data Science Engineering team, and Data Science Analytics team. As a central and mission critical function in the company, we are tightly integrated with Engineering, Product, and Business functions. We primarily help build “intelligent” products for our internal and external stakeholders in addition to providing internal consulting services to our business partners and executives. As part of our Data Science function, the Data Science Engineering team primarily focuses on bridging the Data Science function and the Engineering function by enabling all Data Science initiatives to produce high-fidelity and production quality results all the way from input data to final product or service while taking a crucial part in shaping the design and implementation of these initiatives.
As a Data Scientist in our Data Science Engineering team, you will help formulate new product features and enable new business capabilities by enhancing the underlying computational engine that powers the NEXT freight platform and marketplace. You will play a pivotal role in scaling, optimizing, and instrumenting a real-time, complex dynamic system of software and virtualized real-world assets (trucks, drivers, freight, warehouses, yards, port terminals, etc.) through a period of exponential growth. As part of our team of Data Science engineers, you will help shape our next-gen solutions by not only directly partnering with our Data Science Research team and Data Science Analytics team but also closely working with our Engineering function. You will ensure the availability and usability of the data by collaborating with Data Engineers, the performance and scalability of the data science design by collaborating with researchers and analytics experts, and the quality and reliability of the data science implementation in production by collaborating with Software Engineers. Based on your strengths and interests, you will have the opportunity to drive a broad spectrum of applications in Forecasting & Econometrics, Pricing & Auctions, Transportation & Routing, Inventory & Capacity Management, Logistics & Supply Chain Optimization, Experiment Design & Recommendation Systems, Growth & Product Analytics, and Personalization & Marketing Science, to name a few.
What You'll Do
- Partner with internal stakeholders on business initiatives to identify and articulate opportunities for applying Data Science. See beyond the data to propose and build solutions that will raise the bar for decision making.
- Partner with the Data Engineering team in implementing data injection and data streaming pipelines while continuously improving and scaling the data ecosystem.
- Partner with the Data Science Analytics team in implementing and evolving ETLs for data visualization and reporting as well as ad-hoc analysis. Develop custom front-ends for visualizations and deploy web apps in production.
- Partner with the Data Science Research team in implementing and evolving data flow infrastructure and services for model and algorithm development related to ML/AI, Optimization, Simulation, and Statistics as well as ad-hoc analysis.
- Partner with the Software Engineering team in deploying Data Science models and algorithms into production including third party libraries and tools as modules.
- Instrument the organization, the product, and the business ecosystem by building descriptive and predictive models.
- Coach and support individuals across organizations to evangelize a decentralized culture of data-driven decision making throughout the company.
What You'll Have
- M.S. in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Quantitative Finance, Statistics, Applied Math, Physics or a related Engineering M.S. degree.
- 2+ years of experience in deploying production quality code as part of the full application development life-cycle.
- Expertise in object-oriented design and development (e.g. C++ or Java).
- 2+ years of experience in SQL, data modeling, and building ETLs.
- 2+ years of experience in analyzing large-scale structured and unstructured data using R or Python.
- 2+ years of experience in implementing custom visualizations for web app development (e.g. R Shiny, Python Dash, JS React).
- Rich understanding of best practices in Data Engineering.
- Solid understanding of popular Data Science tools and libraries.
- Collaborative team player.
- Ph.D. degree in a related field.
- Experience in building data science models and algorithms for ML/AI, Optimization, Simulation, and/or Statistics.
- Experience in working with or in support of a diverse set of business functions.
- Experience in transportation, logistics, and supply chain industries.
- Experience in venture-backed startups or other hyper-growth environments.
Nice to Have:
What You'll Receive
- Competitive Base Salary + Bonus + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.