Director of Operations - Drayage
Los Angeles, CA
Operations – Drayage
NEXT was founded with a vision to implement solutions and bring change to a fragmented industry. As a FreightTech pioneer, we are designing technology-driven solutions to transform the $800B U.S. shipping & trucking industry. Our platform connects shippers with freight capacity for every step of a shipment’s journey.
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to provide world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion dollar puzzle and make freight painless.
Armed with experienced professionals from Google, Amazon, Salesforce and Twilio, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. We have been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
Are you NEXT?
About The Role:
As the Director, Drayage, you’ll be responsible for the execution of the Drayage services provided by NEXT. You will be responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations and mange to KPIs and targets. As a strong people leader, you’ll provide guidance to your teams to operate with safety and efficiency in mind. You’ll be leading the charge for innovation, and continuous improvement across your disciplines, applying lean methods and processes to all aspects of the Drayage services. You are a strategic leader and know how to effectively manage Operations at a macro and micro level so we can continue to grow, scale and be profitable. Applying best practices to ensure customer expectations are met and exceeded is second nature to you. In addition, you’ll be responsible for maximizing our marketplace opportunity, as well as P&L for owned assets. This role will report to the Senior Director of Operations.
What You’ll Do
- Lead and oversee transportation operations that include drayage marketplace and CDL drivers
- Develop and implement an operations strategy tailored to our client that identifies opportunities to improve cost control and margin improvement and will lead to organic growth
- Attract, lead, and grow an Operations team focused on providing world-class service to shippers
- Plan for and maximize utilization for core assets and teams including trucks, trailers, drivers, and staff
- Identify and rationalize market opportunities across clients and services
- Support the company strategy including growth and transformative initiatives
- Provide leadership and create an environment that fosters passion, teamwork, and agility within the organization
- Build and sustain long-term client relationships
- Create optimized and scalable business processes and define requirements for the Drayage Product in collaboration with Product, Engineering, and Finance organizations
- Create visibility into the Drayage operations and recommend using internal and market data
- Apply lean/six-sigma methods and processes for continuous as well as quantum improvements
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
What You’ll Have
- 10+ years of relevant experience in operations management with a focus on logistics and supply chain management, preferably in Drayage or a related field
- Experience with Drayage brokerage and owned assets
- P&L Management
- Experience in Marketplace operations management
- Six-sigma or lean production certification
- Hands-on experience with continuous improvement
- 5+ years as an executive leader managing multiple fast growing operations
- Familiarity with OSAH rules and regulations
- Early stage startup experience
- Demonstrated ability to perform with grace under pressure
- Multitasking skills in a fast-moving and changing environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Demonstrated experience creating systems and integration requirements, including Salesforce and enterprise billing systems
- Ability to motivate and inspire team members to achieve highest performance
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master's degree a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to present clean, organized, and thorough information and data appropriate for intended audience
What You'll Receive
- Competitive Salary + Bonus + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/ company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Casual work environment
- Flex hours (we know SoCal traffic)
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.