Product Security Engineer (Remote)
United States /
Legal – Global Cybersecurity /
The Nielsen Legal Team supports the company globally, protecting Nielsen’s business, products, intellectual property and reputation. The team places a focus on developing excellence and agility as we minimize risk and move the business forward. The team comprises attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants. Whether we’re solving a problem or averting a crisis, we are focused on creating the best environment possible to advance Nielsen’s reputation, preserve business opportunities, and help business to flourish.
ABOUT THIS JOB
Nielsen, the leading company in advertising measurement and outcomes, is searching for an exceptional candidate to build security into our products as a
Product Security Engineer. As Nielsen constantly innovates to maintain its leadership in an ever-changing marketplace, this leader will ensure that Nielsen's platforms and applications are built securely.
The Product Security Engineer supports secure software development and cloud security through application of security engineering techniques to improve product security posture. This role will lead engagements with product teams focused on identifying component and system level technical risks and evaluating critical failure points. They will determine technical security controls to mitigate risks and work with cross functional teams to implement features according to product road maps.
A strong candidate for this role will need to maintain an understanding of dynamic business needs, laser-focus on clear, tangible outcomes, and partner with DevOps teams to productize scalable security controls.
Product and Platform Security
The Product Security Engineer will serve in a significant role to identify security weaknesses in product designs. In joint collaboration with Product Leadership, DevOps, Engineering, and Data Science teams, the Engineer is accountable for delivering high quality security engineering capability including:
- Conducts application and product security reviews including code reviews.
- Perform vulnerability analysis of applications, operating systems or networks.
- Identifies, documents, and communicates design flaws in products.
- Provide leadership for application vulnerability scanning and penetration testing remediation.
- Manage integration with vulnerability check tools such as Static Code Analysis and Dynamic Code Analysis tools.
- Discover security exposures and develop mitigation plans, and also report and fix the technical debt.
- Actively participate in security initiatives with minimum supervision.
- Function as a subject matter expert for security solutions within the organization’s platform.
- Contribute to requirement gathering with product teams,
- Work together with cross Business Unit teams on executing standardized security solutions and integrations.
- Partake in inner sourcing initiatives within the organization.
- Perform information technology security research to remain current on emerging technology trends and develop exploits for disclosed and undisclosed vulnerabilities.
- Support a service delivery strategy for product security evaluation and testing including continuous improvement, quality, and customer satisfaction.
- Providing expert cybersecurity consulting to internal Nielsen teams
- Engineering & Developer Partnership
- To effect and maintain a culture of security within Nielsen’s engineering, technology, software development, business and operations teams, the Product Security Engineer must:
- Maintain an open, collaborative, and consultative culture supported by outreach and education.
- Partner with teams early and proactively.
- Share knowledge and actively bridge relationships into other verticals in the Cybersecurity organization.
- 2+ years experience in security Demonstrated expertise in software development, DevOps, incident response, digital forensics, reverse engineering, and/or automation.
- Experience with utilizing application security tools and techniques.
- Understanding of threat attacks, exploitation and data exfiltration.
- In-depth experience identifying and managing web application and web service security vulnerabilities including those found in the OWASP Top 10, IoT Top 10, and Sans Top 25.
- Understanding of application and product architectures, programming languages, web application stacks, and S-SDLC.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate security objectives and concepts to engineering and business teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills; capable of understanding business needs and translating them into architectural standards/diagrams; able to translate complex data and architectural concepts and principles into easily-understanding information by LOBs; ability to design and deliver architectural presentations to IT, senior leadership, and business partners.
- Action-oriented with the ability to set priorities and direction.
- 1+ years working in product security.
- Service delivery experience in a large product organization.
- Demonstrated experience in product/application security architecture, network security, application security, cloud SaaS/PaaS/IaaSRelevant certification.
- General cyber security expertise with sufficient knowledge of modern DevSecOps technologies such as: Containers (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)Infrastructure as code (Docker, Ansible, Chef, Terraform, etc.)Continuous integration / Continuous Deployment (Jenkins, etc.)Integration of Security testing tools into pipelineDefect and Issue tracking (Jira, ServiceNow etc.)Source code management (GitLab, Github, BitBucket, etc.)QA Testing tools (nUnit, jUnit, Selenium, Cucumber, etc.)Application security testing tools (SAST, DAST, IAST, OSA, SCA etc.)Cloud Posture Assessment ToolsCloud configuration Drift DetectionUnix, Linux, and Windows Cloud environment (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc)
Cybersecurity as a Product Nielsen is committed to a DevOps culture where best security practices are integrated, understood, and thrive--resulting in true DevSecOps. This is achieved through the utilization of modern technologies to automate security controls. As a Cloud-first organization, we operate and develop in an ecosystem where deployment and CI/CD pipelines can embed security measures that can achieve speed and scalability through technology. The Product Security Engineer will play a significant role in delivering superior services and collaborate with teams to: