Head of Indonesia Tech Lab
Jakarta, Indonesia /
Tech – Engineering /
Ninja Van is a late-stage logtech startup that is disrupting a massive industry with innovation and cutting edge technology. Launched 2014 in Singapore, we have grown rapidly to become one of Southeast Asia's largest and fastest-growing express logistics companies. Since our inception, we’ve delivered to 100 million different customers across the region with added predictability, flexibility and convenience. Join us in our mission to connect shippers and shoppers across Southeast Asia to a world of new possibilities.
More about us:
- We process 250 million API requests and 3TB of data every day.
- We deliver more than 1.5 million parcels every day.
- 100% network coverage with 1000+ hubs and stations in 6 SEA markets (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines), reaching 500 million consumers.
- 600,000 active shippers in all e-commerce segments, from the largest marketplaces to the individual social commerce sellers.
- Raised US$400 million over four rounds.
We are looking for world-class talent to join our crack team of engineers, product managers and designers. We want people who are passionate about creating software that makes a difference to the world. We like people who are brimming with ideas and who take initiative rather than wait to be told what to do. We prize team-first mentality, personal responsibility and tenacity to solve hard problems and meet deadlines. As part of a small and lean team, you will have a very direct impact on the success of the company.
About the Role
As the head of the Indonesia Tech lab you will lead a team of 30 software engineers, QA engineers and product managers to ship and test critical software that powers Ninja Van’s complex operations. Reporting to the VP Engineering based in Singapore, you will be responsible for the well-being and performance of this team, and you will continue to grow this team in both size and capability.
The ideal candidate has had extensive software development experience in startups and product companies. You started as a developer and though you've take on management responsibilities, you are still a techie at heart who love to create software to solve big problems. You’re a hustler who gets things done. You shouldn’t be afraid of doing grunt work, including, for example, rolling up your sleeves and do manual testing when the situation calls for it.
And of course, you believe in Ninja Van’s vision and are excited about how we can impact the logistics industry in Southeast Asia.
- Lead and manage your team - responsible for performance management, career development and general well-being of the team.
- Build the team through effective recruitment, including sourcing, interviewing and raising brand awareness of Ninja Van by participating in local tech events.
- Work closely with product managers and engineering leaders in SG to determine and prioritize deliverables, manage risks and overcome roadblocks.
- Manage project schedules, track milestones and be responsible for on-time delivery of the projects assigned to your team.
- Help define the culture and and keep the team motivated.
- Drive adoption of best practices and processes in the lab.
- Establish effective communications with the SG team so that your team feels that they are an integral part of Ninja Van.
- Occasional travel to Singapore.
- 8-12 years of software development experience, including at least 3 years in development and 3 years of people and project management.
- Have managed teams of high-performing software engineers who won’t hesitate to work for you again if given the chance.
- Stellar track record of successfully delivering software products both as a developer and project manager.
- Hands-on experience with Agile practices and strong understanding of QA processes.
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent from a reputable university.
- Excellent verbal and written English.
Backend: Play (Java 8+), Golang, Node.js
Frontend: AngularJS, ReactJS
Mobile: Android, Flutter, React Native
Cache: Hazelcast, Redis
Data storage: MySQL, TiDB, Elasticsearch, Delta Lake
Infrastructure monitoring: Prometheus, Grafana
Containerization: Docker, Containerd
Cloud Provider: GCP, AWS
Data pipelines: Apache Kafka, Spark Streaming, Maxwell
Workflow manager: Apache Airflow
Query engines: Apache Spark, Trino
Submit a job application