Head of Compliance & MLRO
Compliance – Regulatory Compliance /
Nium, Global Leader in Payments
Nium was founded on the mission to build the global payments infrastructure of tomorrow, today. With the onset of the on-demand economy, its single platform for global payments and card issuing is shaping how banks, fintechs, and businesses everywhere to disburse and collect funds instantly across borders. Its payout network supports 100 currencies and spans 195+ countries, 100 of which in real-time. Funds can be disbursed to accounts, wallets, and cards and collected locally in 35 markets.
Nium’s growing card issuance business is already available in 34 countries. Nium holds regulatory licenses and authorizations in over 40 countries, enabling seamless onboarding, rapid integration, and compliance – regardless of geography. The company is co-headquartered in San Francisco and Singapore, with regional offices in London, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Chennai.
Your Next Exciting Role
As the Head of Compliance & MLRO, you will be working as part of Nium’s global, dynamic Compliance team and will be reporting to the VP Compliance (Europe). The Compliance team is responsible for advising the business on all compliance matters and ensuring the regulatory requirements for Malta are met. In addition this team is also responsible for client onboarding, Transaction Monitoring, and for the detection and prevention of financial crime including, money laundering, and terrorist financing.
What would a day @ Nium look like?
- Develop and manage Financial Crime and AML methodology to manage all sources of regulatory risk to meet the needs of our Maltese/EU regulators and ensure they remain up to date with all regulatory and international standard
- Develop country specific risk assessment highlighting control gaps
- Build up compliance reporting as per regulatory and governance requirements and issue internal reports to Senior Management (AML/CTF internal control report, Fraud, periodic internal reports etc.)
- Act as a subject matter expert for the business and management on compliance-related matters in Europe
- Develop and improve the company’s policies and procedures on an ongoing basis
- Lead AML external audits
- Perform ongoing risk assessments and horizon scanning for applicable regulatory requirements
- Act as point of contact for the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) and law enforcement agencies
- Ensure proper regulatory and AML/CFT reporting to MFSA
- Assist in to improve and streamline end to end compliance operational processes through automation and technology
- Lead the roll out and ongoing management of the Compliance Training Framework;
- Participating in Compliance or business-driven projects, including regulatory developments and strategic initiatives
Which Skills & Experiences will make you successful?
- At least 10 years’ experience within regulated companies, in senior compliance role(s) with robust knowledge on Compliance topics (KYB / KYC, AML/CFT, Sanctions etc.)
- Good understanding of the Payments/Fintech industry
- Knowledge and experience (preferably within Payments/Fintech) in Malta
- ACAMS/ICA certified (preferably)
- Strong analytical skills with experience in problem solving and being able to implement and deliver solutions
- Demonstrate clear sense of accountability in performing the role and a positive demeanor
- Ability to identify inefficiencies, see the bigger picture, challenge the current status quo and define scalable and sustainable processes and methodology
- Able to prioritize quickly and meet deadlines even under pressure
- Strong stakeholder management and communication skills
- Team player with strong collaborative qualities, including some previous experience (or willingness) to build, lead and motivate a team.
- Willingness to learn continuously and keep up to date with the Payments industry and its regulatory landscape (Globally).
- Fluent English
What we offer at Nium
We Value Performance: Through competitive salaries, performance bonuses, uncapped sales commissions & annual salary reviews, we ensure that all our employees are rewarded and incentivized for their hard work
We care for our Employees: The wellness of Nium’ers is our #1 priority, we offer medical coverage along with 24/7 employee assistance program & generous vacations, and year-end shut down. We also provide flexible working & a hybrid working environement (3 days per week in the office)
We Upskill Ourselves: We are curious, always want to learn more & upskill ourselves: We therefore do not only provide role-specific traning but also offer all our employees LinkedIn learning solutions & dedicated learning allowances
We Constantly Innovate: Nium has been awarded multiple times for its constant innovations & growth since our inception, such as the 2022 CBI 250 Most Promising Fintech Award or the 2021 Financial Time top 50 High Growth companies in APAC
We Celebrate Together: Work is also about having fun with your colleagues & creating great relationships. We often celebrate together through company-wide social events, team bounding activities, happy hours, team offsites, and so much more!
We thrive with Diversity: Nium has always thrived with a diverse & multicultural workforce, with more than 33 nationalities across 18+ countries. As an Equality Opportunity Employer, we are committed to providing a safe & welcoming environment for everyone.
What's it like to be a Nium'er?
At Nium we center our way of work around 3 core values globally:
#KeepItSimple: We cut through complexity, simplify at speed and operate with scale in mind
#MakeItBetter: We build innovative solutions that make our customers' lives better
#WinItTogether: We win in this competitive market by collaborating as one team
For more information visit www.nium.com