Purification Scientist / Senior Scientist
St. Louis, MO /
Product Development /
Nobell Foods is creating cheese and other dairy products from plant-derived dairy proteins for the 99% of people who are unwilling to compromise on taste and price. Nobell is made up of a team of passionate scientists, explorers, and storytellers on a mission to radically change the way we make food, so it’s better for you, the animals and the planet. We are backed by Bill Gates’ climate fund Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, and Robert Downey Jr. If you believe in our mission and are excited about our work, we would love to hear from you!
You will play a key role in bridging protein separation and purification R&D to pilot and commercial scale production by developing, testing and iterating methods for separating
- Develop benchtop protein separation processes that scale to pilot and commercial levels
- Operate and maintain laboratory and pilot plant equipment in a safe manner following established protocols.
- Manage basic projects from concept generation through commercial scale-up using experimental design while maintaining accurate records.
- Evaluate methods for protein isolation and fractionation for purity, yield, and commercial viability
- Work with Engineering to test, scale up, and design commercial unit operations
- Investigate and apply protein separation and fractionation techniques from foods including plant proteins and animal proteins
- Operate independently on daily assignments with minimal direction.
- Use basic computer skills including effective use of G Suite and Microsoft Office.
Education and experience requirements
- PhD or MS in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Food Science with 5+ years industry experience with PhD or 9+ years experience with MS
- 5+ years of experience working with bench to pilot or commercial scale processing of food products, ingredients or similar industry
- Expertise with protein purification or separation methods such as isoelectric precipitation, chromatography (SEC, IEX), ultrafiltration or any other physio-chemical methods for protein separation
- Highly experienced with protein characterization methods and familiar with mass balance concepts
- Ability to design and execute experiments, analyze data and troubleshoot issues quickly and independently
- Analyze and organize data in a useful manner to communicate with various stakeholders
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional technical and problem-solving skills
- Resourceful, eager to learn, and team-oriented, with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently in a timely manner
- 5 years of hands-on experience in researching protein separation techniques
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic work environment; desire to learn new concepts quickly and apply them in productive ways
- Ability to effectively manage multiple competing priorities
- Effective decision making with limited data
Note: the title for this position may be adjusted based on the level of experience of the candidate
Desired start date: Immediate
Nobell Foods offers competitive compensation, generous healthcare, dental and vision plans, 401K and commuter benefits.
Nobell Foods is committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace. Where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation.