South San Francisco /
Legal & Regulatory /
Nobell Foods is creating cheese and other dairy products from plant-derived dairy proteins for the 99% of people who are unwilling to compromise on taste and price. Nobell is made up of a team of passionate scientists, explorers, and storytellers on a mission to radically change the way we make food, so it’s better for you, the animals and the planet. We are backed by Bill Gates’ climate fund Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, and Robert Downey Jr. If you believe in our mission and are excited about our work, we would love to hear from you!
Reporting to and partnering closely with our General Counsel, we are looking for a patent attorney to oversee and direct the company’s intellectual property strategy spanning its technologies across the supply chain. This role will work closely with our scientific teams and outside counsel to ensure the intellectual property strategy is in alignment with the company’s overall objectives, and will be critical in ensuring that our breakthrough technologies are protected and that the company is able to meet its commercial goals.
- Oversee and direct the company’s intellectual property strategy, including ensuring ongoing alignment of the intellectual property strategy and action plans to the company’s strategic goals;
- Develop creative, strategic patent portfolios protecting both platform technologies and products at various stages of development;
- Work closely with the executive team to provide practical advice on intellectual property, including periodic updates to key management and occasional presentations to the Board of Directors;
- Manage outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications to establish and expand a strong patent portfolio around the world;
- Work closely with scientific teams to capture innovation and serve as an expert conduit of information to outside counsel to produce high-quality patent applications;
- Direct a full range of patent support functions (including patent preparation, prosecution and maintenance in the U.S. and other jurisdictions);
- Direct patentability and freedom-to-operate searches and analyses around platform technologies and products.
- You are excited about our mission to make animal-free food;
- You have a PhD in biochemistry, molecular biology or a related biotechnology, biomedical or other life science discipline;
- You had a JD from an accredited U.S. law school (or the equivalent);You are admitted to practice law and in good standing in at least one U.S. state and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
- You have at least 5 years of law firm and/or corporate legal department experience, including experience drafting and prosecuting biological patent applications and rendering patentability and infringement opinions;
- You are able to effectively handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- You have excellent verbal and written skills;
- You are able to think strategically, effectively engage with stakeholders across the company, and give well organized and thoughtful presentations to technical and non-technical audiences.
Nobell Foods offers competitive compensation, generous healthcare, dental and vision plans, 401K and commuter benefits.
Nobell Foods is committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace. Where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation.