Director of Facilities and Laboratory Operations
South San Francisco /
Who we are:
Hi! We are Nobell Foods, a team of passionate scientists, explorers and storytellers on a mission to radically change the way we make food, so it’s better for you, the animals and the planet.
We loveeeeeeeeee cheese. So much so, that our ingenious founder figured out a way to grow, in plants, the same identical protein found in stretchy, gooey, oozy, delicious, succulent, indulgent, and every other word we could think of to describe the cheese that comes from animals. We are thrilled to say that the best cheese on earth can come from plants and damnit we are going to prove it to every cheese loving glutton out there. So…thanks for taking a look at this job description. Hopefully it gets you as excited as we are to change the way the world eats, because this is just the beginning.
As a Director of Facilities and Laboratory Operations you will focus on scaling up facilities and laboratory operations. You will work closely with scientists, architects, general contractors and other internal/external stakeholders.
- Build a facilities and laboratory roadmap, to project and support Nobell Foods’ future growth in a scalable and efficient manner
- Design facilities and laboratory goals and metrics that align with the Operations department near-term goals, and provide oversight to ensure they are achieved
- Translate broad strategies into specific objectives and action items
- Lead facility construction projects such as buildouts/ improvements/ renovations, expansions, and relocations and cultivate productive working relationships with third-party vendors, service providers and contractors
- Use creative and problem solving skills to modify floor plans in order to accommodate our rapidly growing team
- Review and approve estimates/quotes/bids, architectural drawings, agreements/contracts, leases
- Inspect construction and installation progress to ensure they are of high quality and in line with established contract specifications
- Coordinate, manage, and oversee all facilities and laboratory operations
- Develop and implement new processes, technologies, and systems to ensure efficient facilities and laboratory operations
- Grow the Facilities and Laboratory team from the ground up (including adding skilled managers and individual contributors) by attracting, hiring, and retaining top qualified candidates
- Hands-on management and supervision of members of the facilities and laboratory team
- Provide leadership and direction to team members and support their professional development
Required skills and experience
- 10-15 years or more of relevant experience working in a high-growth biotech startup (food biotech is highly preferred), scaling facilities and laboratory operations, and leading a growing team
- A proven track record of operational improvements and efficiencies in processes and systems
- Self-motivated with a strong desire to both learn from and teach others
- Collaborative leader with strong organizational and presentation skills
- Be keenly attuned to the needs of scientists and other end-users
- Comfortable leading through constant change and ambiguity with the ability to handle complex and ever-changing processes and systems
Desired start date: Immediate
Nobell Foods offers competitive compensation, generous healthcare, dental and vision plans, 401K and commuter benefits.
Nobell Foods is committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace. Where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation.