Woodland, CA /
We believe that good food should also be good for the planet and all of its inhabitants. By harnessing the power of plants, we are creating delicious and affordable substitutes to animal products that use a fraction of the resources, allowing us to feed more people with less. If you believe in our mission and enjoy working with plants, we would love to hear from you.
As a greenhouse assistant, you will be supporting the day-to-day operations of our 5,000+ sq ft greenhouses located in Woodland, California. Each day you will be sowing, caring for, sampling and harvesting plants following strict and detailed protocols while meeting important deadlines.
- General care of our 3,000+ plants, such as watering, staking, repotting, trimming, discarding.
- General greenhouse tasks such as filling pots with soil, rearranging 1-2 gallon pots, cleaning dead plant material from benches, data entry and record keeping, and maintaining greenhouse sanitation.
- Monitoring plant health and reporting problems such as disease and pests to management.
- Collecting plant samples following strict protocols- including seed and leaf tissue samples.
- Keeping track of the plants being added and removed from our greenhouse space by precisely recording and maintaining thousands of plant identification numbers.
- Ordering supplies and material for greenhouse operations and maintaining an organized inventory of these supplies.
- Responsible for handling and storage of transgenic plants and plant materials following USDA guidelines.
Required skills and experience:
- Have an associate degree (or higher) in a science related field (preference will be given for Plant Biology, Horticulture, Botany or similar plant science fields).
- Have worked in a greenhouse before and are familiar with the procedures, practices, materials and equipment used in a greenhouse environment.
- Possess basic science skills such as: conducting experiments, large quantity sample collections, meticulous notebook taking skills.
- You are organized, detail-oriented, self motivated, reliable, resourceful, a quick learner, can multitask, can efficiently prioritize tasks and have excellent time management skills.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You have proficient computer skills, including expertise in using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work productively with minimal supervision.
- You are comfortable working in hot, humid, and/or other extreme environments.
- Ability to physically lift and carry at least 30 lbs and stand/walk for long periods of time.
- Ability to do repetitive tasks that can be physically demanding and work in ergonomically demanding environments.
Desired Start Date: