Sr. Director, Protein Purification
South San Francisco /
Product Development /
Nobell Foods is creating cheese and other dairy products from plant-derived dairy proteins for the 99% of people who are unwilling to compromise on taste and price. Nobell is made up of a team of passionate scientists, explorers, and storytellers on a mission to radically change the way we make food, so it’s better for you, the animals and the planet. We are backed by Bill Gates’ climate fund Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, and Robert Downey Jr. If you believe in our mission and are excited about our work, we would love to hear from you!
You will lead a team responsible for developing technology for purifying recombinant proteins expressed in plants. This role is critical to the company’s success and you will have the opportunity to lead the team doing this important work. Your experience and passion for the role will ensure the company can meet its strategic goals.
- Develop a scalable and economically viable technology to purify non-native proteins from soybeans or other plant hosts.
- Supervise a team of research associates, scientists and/or engineers responsible for developing protein purification technology
- Develop strong competencies in protein separation technologies at cost metrics relevant for food products
- Identify external partners with technologies that complement internal capabilities. Develop and manage relationships with the relevant partners.
- Develop and supervise experiments to gain new insights and apply those insights to develop cost effective, salable processes to produce proteins at target purity.
- Closely collaborate with other teams to jointly develop and enhance capabilities in protein screening, characterization, application development, etc.
- Lead the development of new IP applicable to protein purification and allied technologies.
- Lead the technology transfer to larger scale(s), i.e., pilot plant and production scale.
- Mentor team members.
Education and experience requirements
- BS, MS or PhD in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Food Science.
- 10-12+ years industrial experience with protein purification or separation methods such as isoelectric precipitation, chromatography (SEC, IEX), ultrafiltration or any other physio-chemical methods for protein separation
- Deep expertise of protein chemistry is required
- Demonstrated ability to lead the design and execution of experiments.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet technology development objective in alignment with strategic priorities
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- Knowledge and experience of transferring R&D concepts to pilot scale and production scale processes.
- Experience developing relationships with outside vendors/partners
- A good understanding on industry trends in the alternative food proteins space
- Graduate degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Food Science is highly desirable
- Experience leading a team of engineers/scientists
- Experience with recruiting and building high functioning team(s)
- Knowledge of food protein applications, particularly cheese and dairy applications is desired (but not required)
- Participation and/or leadership in projects commercializing new protein applications particularly in food applications is highly desirable.
Desired start date: immediate
Nobell Foods offers competitive compensation, generous healthcare, dental and vision plans, 401K and commuter benefits.
Nobell Foods is committed both to the health of our employees and to promoting a safe and collaborative workplace. Where permitted under federal and state law, all offers of employment will be conditioned upon new hires providing proof of vaccination, unless the individual qualifies for an accommodation.