Director of UX/Design
New York, NY
Nomad Health is the first digital marketplace for healthcare jobs, efficiently connecting quality clinicians with rewarding career opportunities. Our technology takes the busywork out of finding clinical work. We are a well-funded Series C startup backed by First Round Capital, RRE Ventures, .406 Ventures, Polaris Partners, Icon Ventures, and Kevin Ryan (founder of MongoDB, Zola, Gilt, and DoubleClick).
The U.S. healthcare system is experiencing a staffing crisis. Employers spend $20 billion per year recruiting clinicians to care for the rapidly aging U.S. population. Nomad replaces antiquated staffing agencies with modern technology to efficiently source, qualify, and hire medical talent on demand. Clinicians find better jobs with higher pay. Employers fill roles faster with higher quality care.
Nomad is a fast growing team of technologists, creators, and industry experts passionate about modernizing healthcare staffing so doctors and nurses can get back to the work they do best: caring for others.
What will you do at Nomad?
The Director of Design/UX is responsible for developing delightful experiences for our Nomad users. As Director of Design/UX, you will have a significant impact on our product, and ultimately the Nomad business. You will work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, and business stakeholders on broad, complex problems that require outstanding practical experience and theoretical knowledge of design and UX. You will advocate for the user, based on data-informed and design thinking methodologies. You will have the opportunity to grow and coach the design team.
We are looking for candidates who are empathetic, inquisitive, dedicated, collaborative, and creative. We want someone who loves design but is not in love with their own designs, who loves feedback and crowdsourcing ideas, and knows how to integrate those into experiences that reflect a strong understanding of our users. You’re obsessive about small details and have a vision for the overall user experience. You want to take Nomad to the next level in an innovative and consistent manner.
● Own the end-to-end Nomad Health product design across the breadth of the product, including conceptualizing innovative solutions, developing and refining our design system, improving workflows across the product, ensuring that the user interface reflects a well-thought out hierarchy and presentation of information, and that the overall user experience helps the user through their journey.
● Test and support your designs with research and data: user testing, prototype/concept testing, and working with product managers to a/b test where appropriate.Lead ideation sessions and take concepts from design to execution
● Work closely with engineering and product to discuss design options, advocate for users while accounting for feasibility and effort, and ensuring that specifications are understood
● Participate in scrum teams to deliver designs for product epics according to Agile methodologies
● Nourish a collaborative environment by encouraging the sharing of ideas and openness to feedback, learning, and iteration
● Present and communicate end-to-end designs across departments and stakeholders with clarity and conviction, synthesizing feedback, and delivering on iterations
● Manage design tools
● Provide guidance and mentor design team
● Monitor industry developments and ensure best practice in product design process and delivery
What we’re looking for:
● 10+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar UX-related role, with accompanying experience in visual/graphic design
● Passion for the user experience
● Well-rounded understanding of user-centered design process, as well as strong knowledge of user experience principles from research to prototyping to product release
● Ability to design for a multitude of platforms (web, iOS, Android, etc).Portfolio of beautiful, detail-oriented design showcasing interaction, visual design, research, typography, and idea generation
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Strong experience with product/iterative work, ideally within a startup
● Experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
● Perennial self-starter that can create schedules, define scope of work, and deliver without explicit requirements and direction
● A bachelor's degree in interaction design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent UX experience
● Master of design tools such as Sketch, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Framer, Invision, Principle, Marvel
● Experience with healthcare systems or labor marketplaces a plus
Nomad offers a fast-paced, supportive, diverse culture. Benefits include comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans, free snacks and drinks, generous parental leave, gym discounts, regular team outings, and a whole lot more.
Exciting challenges lie ahead. Join us! Let's get to work.