Experienced Java Developer
Software Development – Java Developer
eGovernment Business Area
We are looking for a seasoned Java developer to join our team for the Unemployment Insurance Fund (Töötukassa), the sole provider of services and benefits for the unemployed people and at-risk employees.
The application we're building is EMPIS, a Web-based information system that provides different services for the labor market. EMPIS is awesome not only due to its technical features (such as extensive automation, integration with X-Road, and algorithm-driven decision logic) but also because of the high impact - more than 100,000 people in Estonia rely on it.
We use Java SE 8, Tomcat 8, Angular for front-end, Oracle 12c for DB, Amazon S3 for storage, CAS for authentication, Hazelcast for distributed cache, and Gradle for builds. Our testing framework is Selenium and our code reviews go through Crucible. We're also strongly moving towards containerization with Docker.
Our team of more than 30 people (developers, analysts, and QA engineers) is full of smart and dedicated people with strong team spirit. We care about clean and efficient code, learning from mistakes, and making our successes repeatable.
We use a variation of Agile with daily scrums, task estimation meetings, and sprint retrospectives. Though the development process is pretty much nailed down and we've come to understand what works and what doesn't, there's always room for fresh ideas – your ideas!
Most of the time you'll be developing new features based on detailed specifications, with some code reviews, bug-fixing, and codebase maintenance thrown in. The tasks and issues are diverse and touch upon the back-end, middleware, and front-end alike. You'll be working closely with all roles in the team, for example, discussing implementation details with the analysts, getting guidance from fellow developers, and helping the QA with more technical issues. There's not much, if any, direct contact with the customer or end-users.
We expect from you:
- at least 3-4 years of Java experience, sufficient to guide less experienced colleagues if needed;
- actual experience with the Spring framework (Spring Boot, JDBC, Security);
- experience working in and with a team, rather than going solo all the time;
- familiarity with Git (preferred) or Mercurial/SVN, including branching and merging;
- intermediate knowledge of SQL;
- habit of covering your code with unit tests.
Following is a bonus:
- practical knowledge of Angular (v2 and later);
- an Oracle/SUN Certified Professional Java Developer (OCP) certificate or willingness to take the certification after the probationary period;
- practical experience with Hazelcast;
- practical experience with Docker.
You are right for the job if you:
- can strike a balance between polishing your code forever, and making hacks left and right just to hand something over;
- aren’t necessarily a smooth talker, but can communicate with your teammates on a daily basis;
- are confident and able to weigh in on technical matters and say why something should or shouldn't be done;
- don't feel the urge to switch technologies every 6 months, but are curious by nature and keep yourself up to date with what's going on in the Java ecosystem;
- are diligent and keep your promises. Your team can always rely on you;
- value well-structured, readable, utilitarian code over clever hacks and language acrobatics;
- are someone who doesn't just blindly translate a specification into code, but take time and effort to understand the underlying business requirements and their purpose.
We offer you:
- the possibility to join one of Nortal's most successful teams;
- various opportunities to gain experience through challenging (but not frustrating) work, frequent training sessions, and learning from skilled colleagues;
- a clear career path that encourages you and provides you with opportunities that correspond with your ambition;
- an inspiring developer community within Nortal, with 200+ global advocates to boost your personal growth;
- support for taking certification courses and exams, and participating in relevant conferences;
- a comfortable office environment that allows you to focus on work and recharge yourself;
- flexible working hours and annual salary raises.
How can Nortal offer you such an opportunity? We combine strategy, change and technology to deliver meaningful impact. Together with 850+ specialists, we create data-driven and seamless processes for governments, businesses and healthcare institutions in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and now also in the USA. Our development teams operate autonomously, making decisions about technological choices and development processes. We run projects in more than 20 countries across the globe, with the aim to simplify and optimize naturally complex processes in order to create a seamless society.
If you are curious, let’s meet and you can get more first-hand info from people behind this project!
Research us and find out Nortal is all about.