148 - Director of Technology
NorthBay Solutions is an Advanced Consulting Partner for AWS. NorthBay was the first AWS Partner to achieve the “Big Data” competency from AWS. NorthBay was also the first AWS Partner to achieve the “ML/AI” competency from AWS. A significant portion of our projects are joint projects with “AWS Professional Services”. Both our CTO and our VP ML/AI previously worked at AWS. NorthBay has opened an office in Sri Lanka, and we will be hiring 300 AWS Cloud Engineers in Colombo. We have offices in U.S.A, Canada, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Turkey (in-process) and Costa Rica (in-process).
Our previous projects include database migrations, data lakes, ML/AI, DevOps and modern serverless applications for some of the largest and most progressive companies in the world.
We need rock stars that love creativity, have a passion for excellence, and strive to be the best. We are seeking an experienced, technically savvy “Director of Technology”. Candidates do NOT need to be an expert on AWS Cloud technologies. We will train you to be an AWS Cloud Solutions architect. Our U.S. team has Solutions Architects that previously worked at AWS, and NorthBay will “train and mentor” our Sri Lanka-based Directors of Technology.
We are looking for:
Technical depth and a track record of solving difficult technical problems. Desire to learn new AWS Services and AWS Architectural Patterns from our U.S. Team. Desire to “teach” AWS skills to offshore engineering teams. Enjoy explaining the benefits & trade-offs of different “Cloud Architecture patterns”. Listening skills Hiring and Training the best local engineers
We are looking for future leaders, that can be groomed to be “Future CTO’s”. For this reason, candidates need both “technical” and “interpersonal/communication” skills. The ability to “listen” is as important as the ability to “talk”.
Responsibilities: (Responsibilities include but are not limited to:)
- You will build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, providing feedback and hands-on career development
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values around all Global regions
- Build solid relations between peers and demonstrate an excellent team leader and member in a high performing environment
- You will demonstrate sound engineering principles by directly contributing toward your team's goals. Sometimes hands-on 50% development (data-centric / application development projects) and 50% Management.
- You will be the go-to Tech Champion/leader across all wider tech projects in your region.
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Effectively set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern data and application technologies.
- Implement development best practicesHelp develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organization
Must Have Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Equivalent
- Minimum 15 years of software industry experience
- Extensive experience architecting, designing and programming complex & scalable applications.
- Preferably, in a Cloud environment (but this is NOT a requirement).
- Pleasant and humble personality (yes, this is a requirement).
- Experience architecting highly available systems that utilize load balancing, horizontal scalability and high availability
- Programing skills in: Python, Java, Node.js, or .NETStrong practical application development experience on Linux and Windows
- Deep appreciation of “engineering quality”
- Extensive experience with “code reviews”
- Ability to work across teams, including on-shore and off-shore
- Successful leadership of software development teams
- Desire and ability to quickly learn new technologies and skills Good communication and presentation skills.
- Occasional travel to U.S. and Canada is a requirement.
Nice to Have Skills & Experience:
- Hands on experience with AWS services.