Richmond, Greater London
We are notonthehighstreet. Home to over 5000 of the UK’s best small creative businesses, we have been changing the online retail landscape since 2006. Whether you’re working with our Partners to help grow their business, or behind the scenes developing code, we are continuously innovating & working on some really cool stuff all at the same time. And the best bit? We’re making a difference to our Partners’ lives as we do it.
We’re about to embark on an ambitious new phase of development to advance our technology, including platform re-architecture to serverless microservices, rewriting the front-end and introducing new big data & machine learning platforms. It’s an exciting time and we need to strengthen and grow our teams!
WHAT WE NEED
As Tech Lead you will take on technical leadership of one or more engineering teams ensuring we design and build great services and front end as well as take active part in coaching and developing our engineers.
ABOUT THE TEAM YOU WILL BE JOINING
Our team’s goal is to get to know our customers, so that we can build amazing tailored experiences for them. We work with stakeholders to ensure that we store and process our customers' private data in a manner that is secure and legally compliant, whilst also enabling marketing and data teams to build campaigns that add personal value for our customers.
Some of the things you’ll be doing
- Oversee one or more cross-functional engineering teams to deliver great software for our customers and partners
- Provide technical leadership and ultimately act as the technical authority for key decisions
- Make sure that the tech is operationally ready and provide active support for high priority and complex production issues
- Monitor and manage technical debt, articulating necessary remedial work in a way that it can be prioritised against business facing features
- Help to shape the overall architecture and Tech strategy and make sure the teams understand it and what they develops fits right in
- Help to build and make sure the team has and follows good QA practices and takes full accountability for their testing including functional, performance, load and security testing (of course all automated)
- Help to build and implement secure by design principles as well as good security coding practices
- Work closely with our Product Management Team to deconstruct problem statements into technical solutions the team can build
- Help to drive the team to do the best possible job and strive for continuous improvement in productivity. Working with others keep the team inspired and motivated with a focus on delivering maximum value through the best available tech
- Provide technical and engineering coaching to the engineers in the team, participate in their career development as well as actively participate in and help to drive engineering recruitment across tech@NOTHS
- Hold themselves and others accountable for upholding tech@NOTHS and NOTHS values
Some Key Skills + Experience You'll Need - Essential skills
- An eagerness to work alongside product teams to find a healthy balance between tech and feature driven priorities
- A deep understanding of either Node.js or Ruby, and preferably some exposure to both
- Experience deploying application stacks to AWS
- An understanding of distributed asynchronous architectures
- A solid understanding of CI/CD
...it also would be good if you have...
- Worked on a team that was fully invested into cloud native applications
- Used Jenkins
- Exposure to writing microservices in Go
Extra brownie points
- You have previous experience leading a technical team
- You are keen to work at a more strategic planning level to prioritise important technical work against product work
- You are interested in being a hands-on technical contributor, with the understanding the the most important features will probably be delivered by other engineers
What we can offer you
Because we know how important learning is, we provide the Tech team with online training and time set aside to complete course work, guilds sessions, hackathons and learning groups. On top of this, we offer plenty of fun stuff - staff discount, birthday vouchers, soft/hot drinks on tap, regular Friday drinks and of course our renowned Christmas and Summer parties. As the home of thoughtful gifts, ‘thoughtful’ is our middle name so we also love a surprise or two… (but that’s enough on that for now!)
It’s important to us that our people are well looked after, which is why we offer everyone BUPA healthcare, life insurance and a pension plan. Because having a break is important for your physical and mental wellbeing, our holiday allowance is 25 days (plus bank holidays) AND your entitlement will increase an extra day for every 2 years you spend with us.
Apply to join #teamnoths
We’d love to hear about what you can do for us and how you can add value to our people and our business - reach out and apply today!