(Sr.) Scientist, Process Development
Menlo Park /
R&D – Process Development /
Novoloop is an emerging leader in plastic circularity, transforming post-consumer plastic waste into the world’s first chemically upcycled performance materials. Novoloop was founded in 2015 and is a venture-backed start-up that has raised $25M to date. Headquartered in Menlo Park, California, Novoloop is currently scaling up to its first commercial manufacturing facility to use its patented ATOD (Accelerated Thermal Oxidative Decomposition) technology to manufacture performance materials for the footwear, electronics, and automotive industries. Novoloop currently has 30+ full time employees.
We’re seeking an experienced Process Development Scientist or Senior Scientist to optimize our innovative technology at the laboratory scale and design experiments to successfully scale-up the results. You will be responsible for experimental process design and implementation and will work closely with the Process Development team. The successful candidate has 2-5 years of industry experience including hands-on wet chemistry experience and can use techniques such as design of experiments (DoE) to optimize process conditions and improve reaction efficiency.
This is a full-time on-site position in Menlo Park, CA, with a competitive salary and stock options. Priority will be given to local applicants with approved status for US employment.
What You'll Do
- Independently conduct research and experiments in the lab across multiple unit operations ranging from small molecule to polymer synthesis
- Design and operate laboratory systems - e.g. work with solids/liquids in glassware or pressure reactors from the bench to pilot scale (200 mL to 100L reactors)
- Perform analytical testing of the products using NMR, GC, LC, DSC, FTIR and other techniques.
- Obtain and analyze data to iterate on experiments and processesLead the development of new technology or processes, understanding critical parameters to be addressed for commercialization
- Ensure workplace safety during laboratory and scale-up experiments
- Prepare research proposals, batch records, SOPs, reports and presentations; communicate project results to work teams and management
- Interface with suppliers, contract manufacturers, and contract testing facilities as required
- Contribute ideas aimed at advancing existing methods and technologies or creating new technologies, processes or IP
- Troubleshoot development issues and strive for innovative solutions
- Note: Your time at work will be split into ~80% lab/experimental work | ~20% process design, data analysis, planning, etc.
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, or polymer science with 2+ years in industry/national-lab experience preferred. Master’s degree with 5-7 years’ experience focused on independent industrial laboratory work will be considered.
- Experience executing research independently
- Expertise in generating and analyzing experimental data at laboratory scale or pilot scale
- Experience operating pressure reactors
- Able to develop scalable, practical process solutions for process scale up and commercialization
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially for technical information
- An adaptable and collaborative team player both in and out of the lab
Nice to Have
- Ability to lead health, safety, and environmental reviews associated with laboratory, pilot, and commercial scale processes
- A track record of successful scale-up experimentation or projects
- Experience working with liquids on 20-100L scale
- Experience directing research associates and technicians in a lab setting
Salary range $95,000 to $135,000
Stock options are an important part of our comp package
Actual compensation offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their work location, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
In addition to salary, relocation assistance, and stock options, we offer great paid time off and health benefits, which includes medical, dental and vision insurance. We also offer a 401k program, life insurance, parental leave, employee assistance, and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We’re an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.