Menlo Park /
Operations – Operations /
Novoloop is an emerging leader in plastic circularity, transforming post-consumer plastic waste into the world’s first chemically upcycled performance materials. Novoloop was founded in 2015 and is a venture-backed start-up that has raised $25M to date. Headquartered in Menlo Park, California, Novoloop is currently scaling up to its first commercial manufacturing facility to use its patented ATOD (Accelerated Thermal Oxidative Decomposition) technology to manufacture performance materials for the footwear, electronics, and automotive industries. Novoloop currently has 30+ full time employees.
We’re seeking a highly skilled and dedicated EH&S Specialist to join our team at Novoloop. This is a critical individual contributor role where you ensure the safety and compliance of our laboratory and pilot operations and research activities. You’ll be responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining effective EH&S programs, policies, and procedures. Your expertise will help keep the work environment safe, mitigate risks, and promote a culture of safety throughout the organization.
- Develop and implement EH&S programs, policies, and procedures in accordance with regulations and industry best practices.
- Conduct regular inspections and audits of laboratory facilities, equipment, and processes to identify potential hazards, risks, and non-compliance issues.
- Collaborate with laboratory staff and researchers to assess and manage risks associated with chemical handling, storage, and waste disposal.
- Provide technical guidance and support to laboratory personnel on EH&S matters, including the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE), emergency response protocols, and hazard communication.
- Monitor and evaluate workplace hazards, incidents, near-misses, safety observations; lead root cause investigations and recommend corrective actions to prevent future occurrences; ensure corrective actions are carried out in a timely and effective manner.
- Develop and deliver EH&S training programs to educate employees on safety procedures, chemical handling, emergency response, and other relevant topics.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of EH&S regulations, industry standards, and emerging trends to ensure continuous compliance and proactive risk management.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including research and development, engineering, and operations, to integrate EH&S considerations into project planning, design, and implementation.
- Manage the documentation and record keeping of Process Safety Information (PSI) and EH&S activities, including incident reports, hazard assessment records, training records, and permits/licenses.
- Liaise with external regulatory agencies, participate in inspections, and respond to inquiries or requests for information related to EH&S compliance.
- Be in the internal safety lead and point of contact; play a role as part of the on-site Emergency Response Team (ERT); work with external vendors and EH&S consultants to access information and services as needed.
- Examine facility infrastructure and conditions that affect employee health, comfort, or performance.
- Complete any other administrative and physical work related to EH&S.
- Bachelor's degree in Environmental Health and Safety, Occupational/Industrial Safety, Chemistry, or a related field.
- Proven experience (minimum 3 years) as an EH&S Specialist or similar role in a chemistry laboratory or chemical manufacturing environment.
- In-depth knowledge of EH&S regulations, standards, and practices, including OSHA, EPA, and chemical safety guidelines.
- Strong understanding of laboratory operations, chemical handling, waste management, and emergency response procedures.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to assess risks, develop effective control measures, and drive continuous improvement.
- Ability to communicate complex EH&S concepts and requirements to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented mindset with the ability to multitask and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in using software and systems for data management, incident reporting, and compliance tracking.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build collaborative relationships and work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- (nice to have): Professional certifications such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
- Frequent communication (talking/listening)
- Regular walking and standing
- Vision requirements: close, distance, peripheral, color and depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Lifting and moving items weighing up to 20 lbs
- 50% of time in the lab: inspections, hazard and facilities assessments, communication with team members in person, safety drills and training, corrective actions implementation, meeting facilitation, act as on-site safety lead and be part of the ERT
- 50% of time computer use: documentation, procedure and safety content development
- Noise conditions: laboratory and office environment
$90,000 - $110,000 a year
Salary range $90,000 to $110,000
Stock options are an important part of the comp package.
Actual compensation offered to the hired applicant will be determined based on their geography, market data, level, qualifications, job-related skills, as well as relevant education or training and experience.
In addition to salary, relocation assistance, and stock options, we offer great paid time off and health benefits, which includes medical, dental and vision insurance. We also offer a 401k program, life insurance, parental leave, employee assistance, and more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We’re an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.