Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Noyo is the leading benefits infrastructure company, enabling seamless data connectivity across the benefits ecosystem. We believe every person should have access to great benefits that are easy to understand, easy to use, and have them covered when they need it most.
In service of that mission, we provide modern infrastructure to power the next generation of consumer health and benefits experiences. Like Stripe in payments and Plaid in financial services, Noyo makes it possible for developers to embed benefits into any app.
We are a rapidly-growing technology company backed by the best investors in Silicon Valley, and we are building a team of ambitious and creative people looking to change the face of benefits.
Noyo is a distributed company with teammates all across the United States. We have offices in San Francisco and Raleigh-Durham.
Noyo makes it simple for any software company to embed benefits into their offering through a combination of powerful APIs, robust dashboards, and out-of-the-box tooling. Our backend engineers work on the systems and business logic that support all of the products that we offer. Backend engineers work across all sorts of different areas of Noyo, from building new features for our customers, to building integrations with the insurance carriers we partner with.
We’re looking for a Sr. Backend Engineer who will collaborate effectively with other engineers as well as cross-functionally. We value engineers who can reason with complex systems and business logic, communicate those concepts to our customers and their peers, and design efficient and elegant solutions to our most challenging problems.
What You'll Be Responsible For
- Working with the engineering team to develop scalable infrastructure using modern tooling and best practices.
- Ensuring the platform is highly scalable and secure.
- Maintaining high engineering standards for system design, code quality, and communication.
- Create great user experiences that simplify our complex systems for both customers and internal teams.
- From ideation to launch, collaborate with other engineers, product managers, and client facing operations teams.
- Debug issues and maintain production systems deployed in a cloud environment.
- Design and build best-in-class APIs with an emphasis on usability and performance.
- Working closely with more senior staff on more complex and or integrated programming issues.
- May lead or manage projects.
What You'll Be Collaborating On
- You will work closely with other engineers on the team to build new features from ideation to launch and beyond. This includes collaborative designing, programming, and code reviewing.
- You will work with the Noyo Product Team and cross-functional stakeholders to design the systems you are building and validate they are truly solving impactful problems.
- You will provide technical mentorship to other engineers on the team. You should enjoy coaching and making your teammates better.
- Building out new pages, features, and experience within our customer dashboard.
- Building new API endpoints for our customers, or improving existing endpoints.
- Work with our operations team to build internal tooling for particular business logic or tasks to improve operational efficiency.
- Developing new tools, processes, or workflows to support and improve our API developer experience.
What Experience You'll Need
- Minimum of 7 years of professional engineering experience.
- Experience in health-tech is preferred, but not mandatory.
- Advanced experience in Python.
- Experience building modern web applications in a product-driven environment. You should feel comfortable balancing risk, speed, and quality in your development process.
- Experience working in an agile environment with continuous integration, along with rigorous logging and monitoring practices in a production environment.
- Experience building and maintaining APIs and customer-facing web applications.
Your 12-Month Roadmap
Within 1 Month
• Get to know the team and our agile culture, and how we write, review, and deploy code.
• Set up a good local development environment and potentially contribute to making the common environment better for other engineers.
• Explore the most common codebases you will be working with and the codebases owned by the Fulfillment team.
Within 3 Months
• Understand the company mission and goals. Understand the medium and long-term goals of the Fulfillment team.
• Establish your personal and professional development goals with your manager.
• Comfortable working with tickets with vague instructions and scoping. You can identify gaps and questions that need to be answered before work is started.
Within 6 Months
• Completed your first significant project with your teammates. This may include participating in the technical design process.
• You should be able to give a high-level view of the system architecture and be an onboarding buddy for a new hire.
Within 12 Months
• You should be capable of being the leader of a project from inception through technical design, development, and launch.
• You should be a resource of both domain and technical expertise for newer team members and engineers on other teams at Noyo.
Noyo is committed to advancing pay equity, and pay transparency is one tool in support of that goal. Noyo has a comprehensive total rewards program which includes base salary, equity, benefits, and professional development opportunities.
The base salary for this position is $162,000 to $200,000. Consistent with applicable laws, compensation will be determined based on the applicant’s relevant skills, qualifications, and experience along with requirements for the position.
Noyo is a distributed first team with employees working across the U.S. and we take a location agnostic approach to compensation. This means that your location will not be a factor in determining your compensation.
Please note that it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range. Noyo reserves the right to modify this compensation range at any time.
What we value
1. Judgment to experiment quickly without sacrificing quality
2. Combination of ambition and creativity to solve hard problems
3. Collaborative approach and focus on finding the best ideas, wherever they may be
What we offer
Competitive salary and equity packages - You'll be an owner of the company
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance - Noyo pays 100% of employee premiums and 50% of dependents premiums
Long-Term Disability, Short-Term Disability, and Life Insurance - Company paid life and disability coverage
Health and Dependent Care FSAs - Pre-tax flexible spending accounts for out-of-pocket expenses
401k Account - 401k program through Guideline
Commuter Benefits - Tax-advantaged commuter benefits account
Home Office Stipend - Noyo offers each team member a $500 stipend to spend on home office related equipment
Parental Support - 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents
Paid Time Off - Uncapped vacation days & paid holidays
Holidays Off - Noyo observes 14 holidays including Juneteenth, Indigenous People’s Day, Election Day, & Veterans day
How we work together
Deep Work Wednesdays - Wednesdays are used for deep work, so we try to avoid meetings being scheduled this day unless it's client sensitive.
Collaboration Stack - We primarily use Slack, Google Suite, and Notion.
Core Collaboration Hours - To maintain our flexible, self-directed work schedules without leading people to feel they need to be constantly connected, we've implemented core meeting hours where cross-time zone meetings happen.
Noyo products serve everyone, and we believe the best products are built by teams that represent their users. We value unique contributions and actively welcome people of all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to join us at Noyo. We are committed to working with and providing access and reasonable accommodation to applicants. If you think you may require accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, please send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests for accommodations are treated discreetly and confidentially, as practical and permitted by law.
Noyo participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify employers verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching the information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Here you will find links to the Participation Poster as well as the Right to Work notices in English and Spanish.