Technology – Support
Who We Are
npm is the world’s largest software repository, with over 10 million users and over 40 billion software package downloads every month. Our systems are critical to software engineers all over the world and used in every industry; from the public registry, which serves packages to open source engineers and small organizations, to our new enterprise solution, which provides single tenant registries for medium and large customers.
Key responsibilities include
- Building close relationships with customers and use knowledge of the market to inform product evolution
- Addressing support tickets submitted by customers with a myriad of technical ability and backgrounds
- Triaging and evaluating the severity of tickets assigned daily
- Working with other support team members to positively resolve customer issues and concerns
- Working occasionally with the product and development team to communicate tooling opportunities that will benefit the customer and also the support team
- Acting as a liaison between customers to facilitate communication
- Occasionally documenting solutions to use for our internal knowledge base
We would prefer that you have experience with the following
- Technical support
- Working on a distributed team
- Familiarity with using a command line
It would be nice if you have the following
- npm command line or website experience
- Prior experience working with a distributed team
- At least two years working with customers in a technical support capacity
- IT Support Professional certification
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
Our Code of Conduct
Why You Should Join
In joining the npm team, you'll become an important part of a small but dedicated engineering team. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that doesn't ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in schedule. We have a progressive parental leave policy and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated and enforced. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes. To help ensure this balance we have contracted support night coverage so we don't interrupt anyone's sleep.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Where We Can Hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have team members across the US time zones and in the UK, Canada, and Mexico. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.