Business Development Manager
Who We Are
npm is the world’s largest software repository, with over 10 million users and over 40 billion software package downloads every month. Our systems are critical to software engineers all over the world and used in every industry; from the public registry, which serves packages to open source engineers and small organizations, to our new enterprise solution, which provides single tenant registries for medium and large customers.
We believe that the best way to succeed is by taking care of ourselves, our families, our users, and one another. We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Our code of conduct
npm is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate in a professional environment. We do not tolerate harassment in any form and we are committed to partnering with you to foster a healthy work environment.
About this role
In the midst of high growth, npm, Inc. is looking for an exceptional Business Development Manager with an attested record of success in open source, a systematic approach to identifying, compartmentalizing and prioritizing opportunities, and someone who can bring a proven playbook to enable npm to quickly build our partnership efforts. In this role, you will be responsible for creating new partnerships with some of the largest global brands in the world - with specific sales goals associated.
Key responsibilities include
- Identify and segment markets and opportunities to help serve our community, customers and users across a wide breadth of potential partners such as cloud infrastructure providers, service providers, value added resellers (VAR’s), Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s), security tool providers, governments, and academia.
- Identify, seek out and create large opportunities with partners you identify and with over 50+ potential partners that are already in progress.
- Pursue connections with decision makers, identify needs of the organization, and effectively develop and present strong partner value propositions, product demonstrations and business cases with key managers and senior-level executives.
- Implement a systematic approach to identifying, compartmentalizing and prioritizing opportunities based on contribution to npm’s stakeholders. Must be able to run multiple opportunities in tandem and be self-sufficient.
- Provide customer and partner feedback to Product to influence feature and product roadmaps.
- Develop a strong knowledge of npm’s capabilities and product offerings.
- Leverage your own contacts for partnership opportunities.
- Collaborate cross-functionally internally with executive team, sales, marketing, product development, customer success and engineering.
- Proactively document activities and opportunities, and manage partnership and sales pipeline in Salesforce.
- Develop best practice-based processes and subsequent documentation.
- Meet or exceed annual revenue goals for new partnerships and other key metrics.
- Analyzing various market segments and collaborate with leadership to choose the best ones to pursue
- Getting to know our competition and develop strategies and tactics to reduce the threat
- Develop metrics to measure and monitor progress
It may be helpful if you have experience with the following
- Cloud and channel sales management
- Knowledge of the open source market
- Business experience or an existing network with tool and infrastructure providers in the DevOps, Cloud Computing and Software Development industries
Where we can hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California, but this job is open to remote employees. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have employees located in several countries, and we are comfortable working in a distributed fashion. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas other than TN-1s, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.
This role requires approximately 40% travel including customer visits.
Our Code of Conduct
Why You Should Join
In joining the npm team, you'll become an important part of a small but dedicated engineering team. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that doesn't ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in schedule. We have a progressive parental leave policy and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated and enforced. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes. To help ensure this balance we have contracted support night coverage so we don't interrupt anyone's sleep.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Where We Can Hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have team members across the US time zones and in the UK, Canada, and Mexico. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.