Vice President of Product
As Vice President of Product, you will facilitate our product development efforts with effective processes, user-focused insight, and market research. You will work closely with npm's inventor, leading a team of product managers and designers who are passionate and dedicated to developing the lines of business that provide the financial backing to keep this movement from slowing down.
Working with a team of brilliant innovators and pragmatic thinkers, your role as VP of Product will allow you to make a significant impact on how software development is done in every corner of the world.
Your job touches on technology, design, and business, but the core role is to refine and communicate npm's product vision, so that vision can find expression in reality. You know that the perfect can be the enemy of the good, and that real-world constraints mean we make trade-offs to ship anything at all. Your job is to make sure that the team makes those choices with forethought and wisdom, helping us take practical steps in the direction of continual forward progress.
First and foremost, as Vice President of Product, you bring deep management expertise and proven methodology to bear on the art and science of building the right things for the right customers. We've managed to build something important; you're going to help us refine it into a sustainable and profitable business.
- Establish and manage scalable and repeatable processes for user research, market analysis, forecasting, and design.
- Work with product managers, subject matter experts, engineering, marketing, sales, support, and the rest of the executive leadership teamto define a product roadmap that is both feasible and compelling.
- Provide clear accountability and mentorship for product managers, raising the bar for product excellence within the team that reports to you.
- Facilitate cross-team communication and processes so that the product organization empowers the rest of the company.
- Work with marketing and knowledge management to craft messaging that communicates the value propositions of npm's product offerings.
- Close partnership with the CPO on the multi-year vision and strategy of npm, aligning on the outcomes we must achieve, and empowering the team to define and execute the output, tasks, features, and products that deliver the most value to our customers.
- Work with business development process, framing potential partnership opportunities.
- We're looking for someone who has done this before. At least 7 years experience working in product management in some capacity is required, with significant management experience.
- User interviews
- Managing timelines and projects across multiple departments
- Use case development and validation
- Articulating and actualizing a long-term product strategy
- Communicating with executive management teams, engineering teams, and partners, with an ability to articulate the right level of detail and knowledge to each audience group, both in written and verbal form.
- Expert level management skills, building rapport within and between teams, providing candid and constructive feedback, and facilitating healthy and sustainable working practices.
- Identifying opportunities for short and long term mutual benefit with technical and product stakeholders at external partner companies.
You should have direct, deep experience in the following:
Why you should join
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful equity
- Working with a supportive and diverse team
- Industry-leading parental leave and PTO policies
In joining the npm team, you'll become an important part of a small but dedicated product team. We strive to provide a sensible balance between work and non-work, and we allow you to define your own schedule. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Our code of conduct
Where we can hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. The product team is hiring worldwide. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. If you have experience working remotely, so do we. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas other than TN-1s, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.