Scientist II, Medicinal Chemistry
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated individual with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our medicinal chemistry group in the pursuit of novel small molecules. You will engage in rational structure-based drug discovery enabled by our computational and structural biology group. Specifically, you will design and synthesize novel chemical entities optimized for potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics and in vivo efficacy. As a member of a dynamic multi-disciplinary project team, you will collaborate with a broad group of scientists within Nurix and with external collaborators. Additionally, you will contribute effectively to patent, report and scientific publication writing.
You should have a strong desire to learn new techniques and incorporate new methodologies into your work. You must be self-driven, resourceful, organized and focused, and enjoy being a part of a dynamic team in a project-based environment solving challenging scientific problems to benefit patients.
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with at least 5 years of biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience within a medicinal chemistry department
- Proven track record of innovative project contributions including peer-reviewed publications
- High level of creativity and productivity in the areas of target design and multistep synthesis
- Successful application of structure-based drug design leading to advanced leads / development candidates
- Excellent scientific expertise in both organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry, conversant with the current literature
- Strong working knowledge of protein-ligand interactions, conformational and structural analysis, experienced in partnering closely with computational chemists through appropriate use of computational tools, models and visualization applications
- Strong knowledge of medicinal chemistry principles with a solid understanding of key ADME, biochemical and pharmacological principles with the ability to effectively integrate and apply these to the optimization of multiple parameters during lead generation and lead optimization efforts
- Ability to champion the chemistry efforts into new directions to achieve project milestones and the ability to influence others in the department and in other functions
- Excellent communication skills and able to present the rationale, key data, issues and accomplishments of the chemistry efforts to other members of the department and to other functions