Lead Software Engineer
Mexico, Mexico /
Nuvocargo is reinventing the $2 trillion freight forwarding industry. We are a digital-first freight forwarder using a mix of technology and exceptional service to help companies seamlessly move products across the Americas, starting with the biggest trade lane in the world: Mexico <-> USA.
International logistics is the multi-trillion dollar connective tissue of the world economy, but it's been slow to leverage the power of technology; it's finally going digital, and Nuvocargo is playing a big role in driving this historic shift.
We're growing quickly, and are backed by some of the world's best investors from both Silicon Valley and Latin America such as NFX (Silicon Valley fund with $10bn in exits), ALLVP (Leading Mexico & LatAm fund), Y Combinator (~1% acceptance rate, created $150bn worth of startups), and angels who have built, exited, or currently sit on the board of companies worth over $30 billion.
Our DNA is comprised of four very distinct worlds and cultures: Silicon Valley, Logistics, Latin America, and USA. If you are excited about being at the intersection of these worlds and modernizing an industry that accounts for 12%+ of global GDP, read on...
The opportunity for you:
As the company's tech lead, you will be the most senior individual contributor in the engineering organization. You will lead architecture and implementation up and down the stack from our front end apps, to our backend API, to our databases.
You will also be part of the landing team that will kickstart our engineering presence in Mexico City. As part of that you'll set the quality bar high for engineering and be entrusted to bring best practices from Silicon Valley to Mexico, making a meaningful impact to the startup ecosystem in Latin America.
You will collaborate closely with Nuvocargo's CTO and a team of talented full stack developers. Together with the team, you will determine the future of Nuvocargo's tech stack and software architectures.
Our current stack includes a combination of modern tooling and philosophies.
Our customer-facing front end interfaces include React (including Context and Hooks), Next.js, WhatsApp Business API interfaces and email mailers. Our React/Jamstack apps are continuously deployed on Netlify. Our internal team workflows and interfaces use a mix of low-code and no-code solutions for fast iteration combined with custom micro front ends for usability, precision and control on certain workflows.
Our design and styling processes include Zeplin.io and React Styleguidist.
Our backend technologies include a Rails API, a Postgres database and API integrations with Airtable, Zapier and WhatsApp.
We have a strong culture of building quickly and iteratively, deploying to features and releases to staging (or production!) multiple times a day.
The products you build will be used by hundreds of Nuvocargo's customers, carriers and users across Nuvocargo's internal teams.
Who are you?
- You love deploying features. One of your favorite feelings is shipping code and releasing new features to users. You know when to accrue technical debt in order to get a feature live. You strive for simple, readable code and you are averse to over-engineering the task at hand (YAGNI!).
- You have a track record of building great software in fast-growing companies. You have battle scars and wisdom from many years of building software in ever-changing environments. That wisdom comes both from projects that were incredibly successful and from projects that were abject failures.
- 1 + 1 = 3. You strongly believe that collaboration, pairing, mentoring and raising the bar for everyone on the team makes the team greater than the sum of its parts.
- You are a software craftsperson who believes in the journey to mastery. You believe in creating well crafted software, steadily adding value to stakeholders (as well as the engineering team and your future self) and collaborating with others with an open mind and flexible opinions. You believe that the journey of mastering the craft of software never ends, but you love being along for the ride.
- You thrive in a low-friction, light-process environment. We are not a meeting-heavy org. You are self-motivated to write great software, release great products, pair with team members all without spending hours deliberating whether something is "3 points" or "5 points".
- You are intellectually curious. You are probably a polyglot when it comes to programming languages (and natural languages), even if you don't have mastery over those other languages. You are always curious to dabble in a new library or framework or language and you analyze their high level pros and cons without even realizing it.
- You are both a great communicator and listener. You are great at synthesizing inputs from different sources; you speak and write clearly, concisely, and with a structure that gets everyone on the same page when things feel messy.
- You are open to relocating to Mexico City for at least 6 months. You'll be part of our engineering landing team and key to kickstarting our engineering culture in the Mexico HQ.
- You are passionate about making an impact in the Latin American startup ecosystem. You want to have a direct impact in establishing Nuvocargo's engineering org as one that bridges the gaps between Silicon Valley startups and the Latin American startup ecosystem.
What we offer
- A unique & fun culture at the intersection of Latin America and Silicon Valley
- Competitive salary and stock options
- The opportunity to shape the technological foundations of a venture backed company
- A chance to join the ground floor of a well funded, fast-growing startup that is modernizing an industry critical to the global economy.
Read more about us here: www.nuvocargo.com/about and feel free to reach out with any questions to our Founder/CEO directly: email@example.com.
We look forward to working with you!