Senior Scientist/Senior Engineer, Automation
Technical Development /
Our mission is to develop transformational genetic medicines utilizing novel gene editing delivery technologies, with an emphasis on diseases with significant unmet medical need. Our team is advancing multiple innovative approaches to deliver a variety of therapeutic payloads, focusing initially on gene editing in therapeutically relevant cells and tissues. Our world class scientific founders include Professor David Liu (HHMI, Broad and Harvard) and Professor Keith Joung (MGH and Harvard), and we are funded with a significant capital investment by leading life science venture capital firms including Newpath Partners, Atlas Venture, F-Prime Capital, and 5AM Ventures. We believe that our technology has the potential to positively impact patients suffering from severe genetic diseases, and we are committed to building an excellent, science-driven and diverse team that is passionate about making a difference. Nvelop Therapeutics is a stealth-mode biotechnology company based in Cambridge, MA.
We are seeking an experienced and growth-oriented Senior Automation Engineer/Scientist to join our Technical Development team. This individual will lead the development of automated, high throughput methods to produce, characterize, and screen novel non-viral drug delivery vehicles. Working closely with a multidisciplinary team of research and development scientists, the successful candidate will advance Nvelop’s research and development goals by automating manual laboratory processes using liquid handlers and other laboratory automation tools. The successful candidate will serve as a leader, technical expert, and mentor to junior members of the team.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in laboratory automation, and experience programming, maintaining, and troubleshooting liquid handlers and other laboratory automation equipment. Drive to execute, experimental rigor, and scientific curiosity are key! We are a small and growing company, so the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to evolving priorities is a must.
- Develop and optimize robust liquid handler-based methods for high throughput production, analysis, and screening of non-viral drug delivery vehicles.
- Collaborate with Analytical, Genomics, and R&D scientists and engineers to adapt manual laboratory processes onto liquid handlers and other lab automation systems.
- Partner with Data Science team to ensure automation hardware and software are digitally integrated with Nvelop’s ELN and database solutions.
- Design, install, maintain, and troubleshoot automation hardware and software.
- Author SOPs for automated methods and train new users on software and equipment.
- Serve as technical expert and guide automation strategy on cross-functional project teams. Evaluate emerging automation technology and recommend solutions.
- Train and mentor junior team members.
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in engineering, life sciences, or a related field; Bachelor’s with 8+ years, Master’s with 6+ years, or Ph.D. with 2-4 years of industry experience.
- Experience with laboratory automation in the life science or biotechnology industry including experience adapting manual laboratory methods to automated methods.
- Hands-on experience programming, operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting liquid handler equipment (Tecan, Hamilton, Beckman etc.).
- Strong problem-solving, organization, and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and adapt to a fast-paced environment.
Full time in-person work is necessary for our laboratory-based positions. We work in facilities that require that all individuals working on-site are vaccinated for COVID-19. Position Title and Salary will be commensurate with Experience
We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce and are committed to building a welcoming and supportive working environment. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, partnership status, protected veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Individuals who hold legal work authorization applicable to employment in the United States will be considered without regard to citizenship/alienage.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies for any employment opportunities at this time.