About Nylas: Nylas is building the future of communication - and enabling others to build on top of it. Our APIs enable developers to quickly integrate their apps in emails, contacts, and calendar across providers. We’re quickly surpassing our goals and are seeking a full-time Accounting Associate.
At Nylas: We think it’s really important to have a fun, inclusive, and aspirational workplace, so we collaboratively wrote about our values, benefits, perks, and published them in our open-source handbook. Read it to learn more about Nylas. You can also find more details at: https://www.keyvalues.com/nylas
We love to talk about our values, so feel free to ask us more!
Your role at Nylas: In true startup fashion, you must be comfortable wearing multiple hats: working on our financial functions, assisting some HR functions, and working with vendors and customers. The role reports to the Controller and will be the second accounting and finance hire in the company, but as our company grows, the accounting and finance team will continue to expand. You'll be an integral part of enabling rapid growth and scaling our internal teams and business processes. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and like to deeply understand the inner-workings of a company, you will thrive in this role.
Finance and Accounting: You will assist the Controller with our full-stack accounting cycle by working on monthly and quarterly closes, preparing financial statements, AR & AP, delivering reports for business partners and other stakeholders, and maintaining budgets and financial projections.
Detailed Job Responsibilities
- Assist the Controller with our GAAP accounting, invoicing, payments, running monthly, and quarterly closes using Quickbooks and Excel
- Prepare financial statements and other KPI reports
- Help the Controller to create and maintain company budgets and financial projections
- Work with other department heads to ensure they are staying within budget guidelines
- Support payroll, benefits and regulatory compliance
- Develop and implement scalable processes that improve company-wide efficiency, intelligence, and overall success
What you need to know or have experienced
- You should be someone who is not afraid to multi-task and execute on projects, no matter the size and complexity. You should be able to operate, prioritize, execute, and make good decisions with a high level of autonomy. You must be someone capable of transitioning from accounting to business analysis to recruiting all in a day’s work.
- At least 1 year work experience in accounting, or similar experience, preferably with a fast-moving software company or Big 4 Accounting firm
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and accrual accounting methodology
- CPA is a plus, working towards a CPA is great too
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business/Economics
- Organized and process-driven; you can streamline workflow and create scalable processes
- Proficiency with software accounting packages, preferably Quickbooks
- Solid abilities with Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets
- Highly analytical and data-driven
- Take ownership of your projects and see them through to completion and beyond
- Extremely detail-oriented and comfortable managing multiple deadlines and priorities with little oversight
- Trustworthy and discreet with other employees’ personal information
Nylas is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and diversity of all kinds is important to us.
Our team is roughly equal by identified gender (including engineering) and focuses on creating an inclusive environment for all people. We welcome people from all different backgrounds and currently employ startup founders, college graduates from all over the country and the world, and coding academy graduates.
We are actively and regularly working with the entire team to shape our culture in a conscious way to our ideal of empowerment, transparency, and kindness.