Senior Data Engineer
Toronto, ON /
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Nylas is a pioneer and leading provider of universal communications APIs that allow developers to quickly connect their applications to every email, calendar, or contacts provider in the world. Over 40,000 developers around the globe use the Nylas communications platform to process over 1.2 billion API requests and 20TB of data per day from providers such as Gmail, Microsoft Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo! and more.
Who We Are
Nylas was founded in 2013 by a couple of MIT graduates who were passionate about making complex systems simpler. Co-founder and CTO Christine Spang saw that email use was growing at a steady rate, yet there wasn’t a simple way to unify this data-rich tool in a way that developers could easily integrate with this data. She and a small team (at the time) set out to fix this. Fast-forward to 2020, Nylas has successfully raised funding from Spark Capital, 8VC, ScaleUP, Round13, Citi Ventures, Slack Fund, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, and SV Angel. Nylas customers span from large enterprises such as Hyundai, Fox News Corp, Hubspot and Move.com to high-growth start-ups like Dialpad, Pipedrive, Lexicata, and Sparkpost.
Our Work Philosophy
Nylas is also big believers in the safety and well-being of our employees and society, which is why we are onboarding all new Nylanauts remotely during this global pandemic until there is a vaccine and it is safe for humans to resume their pre-COVID lifestyles.
AND once COVID-19 pandemic eventually comes to an end, we will continue to embrace Remote First philosophy, with a minor twist: Remote First, Office Second. That's right! It's about how you work, not where you work. Nylanauts can choose any workspace or environment that will result in more ideas, engagement, creativity, focus, collaboration, and productivity. It's true. Nylanauts can work from the slopes of Missoula or beaches of San Diego. Wherever motivates them; inspires them to be better versions of themselves. And if Nylanauts wish to work from an office in one of our hubs (San Francisco, Denver, New York City, Toronto, and London), they can! The workspace is there to be utilized.
Why Remote First, Office Second? Because we not only believe in respecting individual working styles, disabilities, and personal schedules, but also ensuring everyone has a better work-life balance. The outcomes will always be more important than the physical location.
So, if you’re looking to join a fast-growing company with a beloved, daily-use product, and an authentic mission that puts people first, we want to meet you. Want to know more? Check us out on Comparably and Great Place to Work!
About the team
Nylas is working on a next generation data platform. You will be involved in building out the new infrastructure on top of a more modern stack that offers horizontal scalability and improved operability. In addition, you will help design and implement data pipelines that feed into the AI/ML models and data warehouse. As an early member of the team, you will help build the foundation of data engineering at Nylas.
- Understand business requirements and translate them into the concise development/design tasks
- Collaborate with product, engineering, finance, marketing, and customer success teams across the organization to help develop, maintain, and operate our data pipeline
- Implement new requests from various teams to fulfill their data needs
- Design, implement, and maintain data pipelines for extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources to data lake or data warehouse
- Create and maintain detailed documentation and functional design specifications
- Architect data models and build efficient and reliable ETL pipelines to bring the data into our core data warehouse/data lake
- Enjoy working with smart people in a challenging and fast paced work environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineer or related field
- 4 years experience in SQL
- 4 years experience in Spark
- Experience with AWS services, such as S3, Glue, Redshift and DynamoDB… etc
- Experience with both structured and semi-structured data, such as relational data, JSON and Parquet
- 4 years of technical experience working with large data sets
- Knowledge of data modelling, data warehousing, ETL processes, and business intelligence reporting tools
- Ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- Excellent oral, written, analytical, problem solving, and presentation skills
- Exceptional collaboration, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Basic proficiency in a UNIX/Linux environment
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with Looker
- Experience with Salesforce
- Experience programming in Python
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience with Git/Github
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- Healthcare: 90% of medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Retirement Plan: 401k & RRSP with a company match (super rare for a startup)
- Holidays: 14 paid annual holidays(New Year’s Day, Family Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Indigenous People's Day, etc)
- Personal Stipend: monthly health & wellness stipend via Zestful
- Education Stipend: annual education & development benefit
- Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
- Voting/Election PTO: 4 hours of paid time off to vote in person or volunteer at a polling place
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states/provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state/province where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.