Staff Software Engineer
San Francisco or New York
The Nylas Cloud API makes it an order of magnitude easier for companies to add email, calendar, and contacts integrations to their applications. By being at the core of business communication, scheduling, and contacts, we believe we can shape the future of how people work.
We’re looking for an experienced Staff Software Engineer to join our team in San Francisco or New York. This person will work directly with a broad team of engineers to architect, advise, mentor, and be hands on to grow the Nylas API and internal systems.
You’ll be responsible for the design, development, and operations of large-scale systems that power inbox sync for all of our customers. Right now, our open-source Python sync engine regularly archives terabytes of data across a massive SQL cluster, and our Flask APIs handle tens of millions of requests a day. We aim to scale that several times over in the next year.
* Contribute technical design and systems architecture of services and applications across the organization
* Initiate and drive complex cross-team initiatives, bringing in resources as necessary from other teams, product areas, and departments as required
* Partner and interface with peer engineering teams and stakeholders
* Partner with leadership to improve process and culture across engineering
* Partner with product management and customer support to lead technical requirements gathering
* Ensure execution alignment with engineering, product, customers, etc
* Drive and partner on technical standards, hiring practices, and other efforts to raise the quality bar at Nylas
* Minimum 7+ years of experience building highly available systems
* Proven experience in demonstrating clear architecture skills at a multi-system level
* Proven experience writing scalable, high-performant, and clean code
* Experience mentoring and leveling engineers at all levels
* Experience driving technical excellence and engineering practices
* Extensive experience building user facing API’s at scale
* Extensive experience in Python
* Deep understanding of Amazon Web Services including EC2, SQS, S3, etc
* Experience with Agile methodologies
Benefits and Perks
Nylas is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and diversity of all kinds is important to us.
Our team is roughly equal by identified gender (including engineering) and focuses on creating an inclusive environment for all people. We welcome people from all different backgrounds and currently employ startup founders, college graduates from all over the country and the world, coding academy graduates, and even a professional dancer from the San Francisco Ballet.
We are actively and regularly working with the entire team to shape our culture in a conscious way to our ideal of empowerment, transparency, and kindness.