Staff Engineer (Remote)
Remote (US or Canada)
At Nylas, our mission is to empower the world to communicate with context and insight. Our hosted sync platform and APIs enable developers to quickly integrate their apps with email, contacts, and calendar across all providers(including Exchange).
We are changing the way companies and developers innovate with e-mail and messaging. Customers like Pipedrive, Hyundai, and Lever use our cloud messaging APIs to power their products and accelerate their ability to innovate.
Nylas has raised over $30M from ScaleUP, Spark Capital, 8VC, Data Collective, Fuel Capital, SV Angel and more. We have offices in San Francisco and New York, and several of us work remotely. Our HQ is in San Francisco and members have previously worked at Dropbox, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, and VMware.
The Nylas Cloud API makes it an order of magnitude easier for companies to add email, calendar, and contacts integrations to their applications. By being at the core of business communication, scheduling, and contacts, we believe we can shape the future of how people work.
We’re hiring experienced engineers to help us scale and build new products on top of our APIs. Right now, our open-source Python sync engine regularly archives terabytes of data across a massive SQL cluster, and our Flask APIs handle tens of millions of requests a day. We aim to scale that several times over in the next year.
Our engineers end-to-end own and ship new features, like offering Contact sync, while providing mentorship through pairing. They shard our webhook systems, then re-architect in SQS as we scale. They solve tricky customer issues, debug slow MySQL queries, and sometimes get into the depths of MIME and other email protocols. On the side, they improve our internal developer experience, most recently with MyPy, and open-source our custom-built tools. They talk at conferences, write blog posts, and make strong showings at local events.
You should have a growth mindset, enough engineering experience to architect complex systems, a track record of managing your own projects, and a strong sense of practical shippability over engineering purity. You should also tend toward humbleness in your abilities and have an innate desire to pass knowledge onto others.
What We're Looking For
- Intellectually curious, passionate and inventive
- Advanced proficiency in at least one language (Python is a plus!)
- Experience working at a start up or a fast paced environment
- Experience leading technical projects from start to finish
- Someone who wants to be a strong individual contributor and lead large scale technical projects
- Someone who isn't scared to drive change whether it be implementing new technologies or changing our processes
- Openness to mentor junior engineers
- Competitive Pay
- Meaningful Equity
- Medical, Vision, and Dental benefits for you and your family(including One Medical membership)
- 401k, FSA, HSA, Commuter benefits
- $100 Monthly ride-share credit
- $1k yearly Education & Development benefit
- Catered lunch & Unlimited snacks
- Gym membership
- Relocation assistance
- Unlimited vacation(mandatory 2 week consecutive vacation once per year)
- 12 weeks caregiver leave
- Flexible work hours
Nylas is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and diversity of all kinds is important to us.
Our team is roughly equal by identified gender(including engineering) and focuses on creating an inclusive environment for all people. We welcome people from all different backgrounds and currently employ startup founders, college graduates from all over the country and the world, and coding academy graduates.
We are actively and regularly working with the entire team to shape our culture in a conscious way to our ideal of empowerment, transparency, and kindness.