Associate Photo Editor
New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
Great design is crucial to our ability to connect with our readers, so the Design team plays an important role in what New York Media creates. We dedicate ourselves to ensuring that our publications are engaging to read and maintain a seamless user experience.
New York Media is looking for a smart, creative digital associate photo editor to join the Vulture photo team. The role involves researching, selecting, cropping, retouching and uploading images to the website. We are looking for someone with a love of photography, strong visual communication skills and a deep knowledge and enthusiasm of pop culture.
The ideal candidate will have some experience in sourcing and licensing editorial images in a fast-paced, high-volume online editorial environment. Quick thinking, an eye for detail, and strong photoshop skills are essential.
- Working with editors to select images for blog posts covering news, and entertainment on tight deadlines.
- Optimizing images technically and visually for publication on the web: color correction and siloing.
- Finding creative, effective and efficient means of illustrating a wide variety of stories using pickup photography.
- Creating well-composed collages from multiple images with elegance and impact.
- Ensuring images are properly licensed; negotiating and handling license agreements with photo agencies.
- Maintaining image metadata to ensure accurate credit and caption information are preserved.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager or supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years experience in photo editing or photography.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite software, especially Photoshop. Strong image editing skills in color-correction; selection and compositing, image sizing, siloing, batch processing and photo-manipulation are particularly important.
- An understanding of image metadata, file types and content management systems.
- An ability to work independently and in collaboration with others to identify the best means of illustrating a large volume of stories with a quick turnaround.
- Strong communication skills and a team player.
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our staff is purposeful, action-oriented, creative, and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audiences. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is critical to our impact and success.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.