Senior Full Stack Web Developer
New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
Managing multimedia products that millions of people use every day is important work, and the Technology team is dedicated to making sure that everything New York Media creates is efficient and accessible. We enable other teams at New York Media to streamline their work and help our audience engage easily with our products.
The Senior Developer role will guide teams in creating and supporting high-profile, delightfully designed sites including NYMag, Vulture, The Cut, Intelligencer, and more.
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, and others in the creation of design-detailed, UX-savvy digital products
- Deliver backend APIs that scale and deploy with ease
- Help drive the development of Clay, our custom CMS built for the modern world of publishing
- Create sites that are both accessible and forward-compatible through the healthy use of web standards
- Identify and address bottlenecks to make sure every web page goes from request to render as quickly as possible
- Use progressive enhancement to take advantage of new techniques without leaving our audience behind
- Cultivate a healthy, inclusive learning culture both within and between teams, and provide mentoring and guidance to junior and mid-level developers
- Know how to get the job done today, while you're on the lookout for a better way for us to work tomorrow
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager
- You have extensive experience working within (or perhaps leading) a team developing and supporting live products
- You have advanced knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3. You write semantic markup that robots love, know the difference between a <div> and a <section>, and can arrange the trickiest of layouts while keeping your CSS simple
- You’ve spent significant time on the backend, recognize common design patterns, and write performant database queries
- You have opinions on the best use of GIFs, JPGs, PNGs, SVGs and whether they should be in a sprite sheet, base64-encoded, linked or not used at all. You deliver retina images when needed, and not a pixel more
- You write clean, clear code with an eye for maintainability and reuse, and know how to coach junior developers on following those principles
- You are well-versed in agile software development practices and used to working closely with stakeholders in short, iterative cycles
- You know how to choose the right technology for the job, and can spot when a framework will save you time, when it will get in the way, and when it isn’t worth the trouble
- You are comfortable talking about code, advocating for best practices, and facilitating inclusive and democratic technical discussions
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.