Deputy TV Editor, Vulture
New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Media does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content that’s smart and funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate a fast-moving culture, whether that’s up-to-date information on political events, cultural developments, fashion trends, or the latest scientific breakthroughs.
The Deputy TV Editor will work alongside the TV Editor to help manage the television department of Vulture.com. TV is the site’s biggest section in terms of output, traffic, and staff, and the Deputy Editor will help marshal our many forces, from critics and reporters to freelancers and recappers, to produce a thoughtful array of reporting and daily commentary. The position requires an editor who can help manage a staff of writers and reporters, provide comprehensive knowledge of the TV landscape, and plan both quick-turnaround and long-term coverage.
- Manage our recaps coverage, including freelance assignments, editing, production, and long-term planning.
- Assist the TV Editor with assigning and editing of daily coverage, including reported news, interviews, lists, and short features.
- Anticipate buzzy new shows, spot programming trends, and identify big stories in the industry.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- 2-3 years of experience in editing and commissioning relevant entertainment news
- Bachelor's degree
- A deep knowledge of TV shows both big and small, and the networks behind them
- Comfort and ability to work within the 24/7 news cycle, often including nights, early mornings, and weekends
- Background in reporting and/or editing reporters
- A strong network of freelance writers
- Familiarity with social media environments and understanding of how to target stories to them
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.