Payroll & HRIS Specialist
New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Finance team is passionate about New York Media and is dedicated to ensuring that our company can continue to grow in the future. We analyze the business for areas of success and opportunity, and we advise other teams to help meet and exceed our goals.
The Payroll & HRIS Specialist manages all payroll-related responsibilities, including maintenance of our HRIS information and other related systems.
- Oversee the timely and accurate payroll administration of approximately 400 employees (full and part-time or temporary) on a semi-monthly basis.
- Act as the point person for all pay-related issues and queries.
- Work closely with Human Resources and Finance on payroll, HR, leave, and benefits-related matters.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date information in HRIS and run standard and ad-hoc reports out of ADP.
- Ensure that payroll deductions are correct and reconcile with monthly benefit invoices.
- Support information flow with benefit carriers to ensure carriers have accurate and up-to-date information.
- Develop and implement systems and processes to ensure the integrity of the HRIS.
- Coordinate and ensure that the all statutory reports and filings are completed timely and accurately.
- Maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local tax regulations. Research new state and federal laws regarding pay and taxes in order to add perspective to Finance and HR.
- Handle unemployment insurance inquiries and employment verifications.
- Assist the Finance department with other tasks, including payroll-related journal entries and reconciliations, and assist during various audits.
- Periodically review procedures + policies; recommend and implement changes to increase efficiency. Ensure that such processes are documented.
- Help manage temporary workers, including onboarding, I-9 verification, and other necessary documents.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
- Minimum of four years payroll management experience required, preferably with significant payroll experience in a comparable fast-paced business environment.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal and State laws required.
- Must be able to interpret complex payroll and tax guidelines.
- Proficiency with ADP Workforce Now v10, including building reports and workflows.
- Experience with on-line integrated HRIS systems.
- Must be detailed oriented and able to handle multiple priorities with conflicting deadlines.
- Initiative and independent judgment in carrying out job responsibilities and creative innovation to streamline and monitor business process to ensure effective operations.
- Excellent Microsoft office suite skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.