New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Product team analyzes and creates the platforms that connect New York Media’s content with our audience. We’re adept problem-solvers and visionaries who can transform creative ideas into successful products.
Product Managers at New York Media own multiple products and shift their focus depending on the needs/priorities of the business. A PM may oversee a specific vertical (eg, Vulture or The Cut) and/or a cross-brand initiative such as e-commerce, newsletters or video. The best product managers are enthusiastic about our journalism and products. We want them to enjoy what they do.
Product Managers work on cross-functional teams; while we are looking for strategic thinkers, they should also be willing to roll up their sleeves and help with QA, wireframes, and project management. Our Product Managers are obsessively focused on getting to know our readers and their behavior through analyzing data, interviewing users, and running usability tests. More importantly, they can effectively bring these insights back to their team and the company at large so the business can make smart decisions about where to focus.
For this role, we are looking for a Product Manager to help lead the growth of the Strategist, our shopping brand, and evolve our analytics and data warehouse products. Candidates should have worked successfully on complex data initiatives. Ideally, we want someone who has experience defining analytics implementations, guiding the development of data warehouses, and turning data insights into personalized experiences for our users. The candidate should have a strong interest in e-commerce and, ideally would have experience working on e-commerce products.
- Provide insights on how to grow e-commerce revenue by analyzing e-commerce data and running continuous experiments to improve conversion.
- Work with vendors, open source offerings, and our in-house Data Insights team to improve the quality of our data and implement analytics solutions.
- Work with Engineering and the Data Insights teams to develop a personalization engine.
- Lead product discovery and other collaborations with designers, developers, editors, and ad sellers.
- Interview users and use behavioral data and user research to inform new product features
- Define MVPs and prioritize a backlog of feature requests and bugs for your products
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders and executives on project status, needs, and milestones. There’s an element of project management to the role.
- Create and maintain product documentation
- Lead training for staff on new products you create
- Work closely with marketing, PR and editorial to make sure product launches have the best chance of success
- Keep the business apprised of developments in the competitive landscape
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of four years of experience as a product manager working on digital products.
- Experience working for a media and/or e-commerce company preferred.
- Strong quantitative skills, especially statistics.
- Previous experience with data management and analytics. Should be fully conversant in Google Analytics.
- Comfortable with technical concepts and equipped to brainstorm with engineers. Should be familiar with writing SQL queries.
- Good listener, clear communicator, passionate advocate for your products, and comfortable managing differences of opinion. People trust you and enjoy working with you.
- Ability to break complex matters down into simple, actionable steps for your team.
- Strong user testing and interviewing skills. Talking to readers/customers is always part of your process.
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.