New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Product team analyzes and creates the platforms that connect New York Media’s content with our audience. We’re adept problem-solvers and visionaries who can transform creative ideas into successful products.
The SEO Editor works closely with writers, senior editors, and product managers across all of our verticals (The Cut, the Strategist, Vulture, etc.) to improve the likelihood that readers will discover our content through organic search. The position ensures communication among internal stakeholders and optimizes content for online search by training new staff, rewriting headlines, and developing strategies by researching keywords and recommending new areas of focus. The role requires creativity, good editorial judgment, and an analytical mindset.
- Train new employees on best SEO practices and advocate for SEO within the editorial process via daily interactions on slack channels, contributions in editorial meetings, and the publication of a monthly SEO newsletter.
- Regularly revise SEO guidelines for the editorial team. Report back to the editorial, product, and audience development teams on SEO performance and suggest strategies to improve performance.
- Research audience potential for keywords, craft alternate headlines, and add links in articles to support linking strategies. Respond quickly to writers and editors throughout the day about stories in progress or those recently published.
- Recommend evergreen topics and story assignments to editors of each brand based on search-audience potential. Work with each site editor to make sure the editorial calendar reflects audience needs and interests.
- Alert editorial teams daily to trending topics with search potential
- Monitor Webmaster tools and help resolve errors and problems identified by google
- Periodically write articles with SEO potential
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed
- Minimum of 3 years experience in as a writer, editor, or SEO specialist. Experience in a digital media environment required.
- A strong interest in SEO and audience development.
- Interest in New York Media’s content and commitment to high editorial standards.
- Able to work independently without daily oversight.
- Able to present clear, constructive feedback in person and via internal communication tools.
- Comfortable making recommendations to senior editors and tracking their progress.
- Strong data analytics skills and adept at using analytics platforms such as Google Analytics.
- Proficient in use of Google Adwords keyword research tool and Google Trends.
- Familiarity with tools such as SEMRush, Moz, Ahrefs and/or Screaming Frog desirable.
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.