Cloud Systems Engineer
New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
Managing multimedia products that millions of people use every day is important work, and the Technology team is dedicated to making sure that everything New York Media creates is efficient and accessible. We enable other teams at New York Media to streamline their work and help our audience engage easily with our products.
The Systems Engineer role will be focused on our transition from our data center to the cloud. We’re moving fast, and need a Systems Engineer with Cloud experience, especially AWS, to help us keep our momentum.
- Support the movement of existing legacy applications to the cloud.
- Participate in design of new infrastructures and workflows being built around our emerging cloud products.
- Optimize infrastructure from CDN code, to application level optimizations, down to kernel parameter manipulation.
- Maintain legacy architecture during transition to the cloud.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by manager or supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of experience working at scale, from running a highly available website, clustering multiple technologies, to being able to work with all the optimizations available.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in AWS cloud technologies required including EC2 / ECR / ECS, IAM, ElasticCache / Elasticsearch, GitHub / CircleCI / CodeDeploy, Lambda, S3 / EBS, SNS / SQS
- Proficiency working with traditional technologies including Linux in a highly available production environment, Puppet, Apache / Nginx / Varnish, TLS, DNS
- Working knowledge of general technology languages/applications/processes required including Node,js, CI/CR, Varnish, Kafka, Docker, Redis/Elasticsearch/Cassandra/Mongo DB
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our team members are creative and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audience. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is crucial in maintaining our strength as a prominent media organization.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.