New York, NY
New York Media energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
We're looking for a business-minded attorney with a passion for media, entertainment, technology, business development, intellectual property, and data protection. As a member of our expanded leadership team, you will collaborate with leadership across the organization as well as outside counsel to develop and lead the execution of our legal strategy across a variety of areas, including partnerships, rights management, and privacy.
- Formulate legal strategy in consideration of New York Media's philosophy, priorities, and resources.
- Lead legal elements of commercial operations including, but not limited to, risks & strategies.
- Research, advise on, and lead on a broad range of subjects including advertising & marketing law, trademark law, copyright law, and corporate governance.
- Draft, negotiate, and review inbound & outbound agreements, including licensing, vendor, consultancy, contributor & talent, nondisclosure, IT, and marketing/sponsorship agreements.
- Oversee compliance with relevant privacy laws and regulations across the company's digital media platforms.
- Partner strategically with and collaborate across the organization, acting as a general adviser and consulting resource on legal matters.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Law degree with exemplary academic credentials
- Minimum 8 years of relevant experience, including experience reviewing contracts in a media and/or advertising environment
- New York Bar membership in good standing
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to assess commercial risk and deliver experience-based decisions
- Passion for provocative and insightful journalism
New York Media is a place where you can be yourself and make an impact. Our staff is purposeful, action-oriented, creative, and collaborative, and we want to be just as engaged and diverse as our audiences. We know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is critical to our impact and success.
We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.
Stay connected with us on Twitter @NYMagJobs.